#26 pre amp - Page 108 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2011, 01:08 PM   #1071
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
Just a quick observation - I tried the globe 26 against the ST version, and found I preferred the globes. Slightly more definition in the mid and treble. Anyone else have views?

andy
Could you post a pic to see the differences?

Felipe
Old 2nd July 2011, 03:24 PM   #1072
diyAudio Member

I can't post a pic of the sound!!! You can see globe and ST shapes by googling "26 globe tube" and "26 ST tube".

andy
Old 2nd July 2011, 04:15 PM   #1073
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just a quick observation - I tried the globe 26 against the ST version, and found I preferred the globes. Slightly more definition in the mid and treble. Anyone else have views?

andy
For my ears as well, the globe are certainly better than ST's. Globes are having better control across all the frequencies I believe. Very rich sound that pleasing to the ears. Super Silvertone and Tung-sol are the only ST's coming closer to the sound of the globes as I observed. I prefer Silvertones above all other ST's because of the faster sound they produce. Cunningham is the best overall sound from globes that I found. Both are very musical tubes and pleasure to listen. Tested Cunningham, RCA, Silvertones, Tungsol, Blue Acturus, Philco, and Superairlines so far.

Last edited by coolzero; 2nd July 2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 2nd July 2011, 04:20 PM   #1074
diyAudio Member

ST
Click the image to open in full size.

Globe
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd July 2011, 05:01 PM   #1075
diyAudio Member

coolzero you have p.m.
Old 2nd July 2011, 05:39 PM   #1076
mogliaa is offline mogliaa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:

andy
Fully agree. I listened today Andy's pre-amp and it's superb. Globes had a better treble indeed.
Worth following Andy's advice on DHTs...
Cheers, Ale
Old 3rd July 2011, 03:10 PM   #1077
diyAudio Member

Default Removing output ground resistor

Will there be any serious implications of removing R3. Bass and treble became more tuneful without it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pre26.jpg (96.2 KB, 495 views)
Old 3rd July 2011, 03:20 PM   #1078
diyAudio Member

Hi!

R3 is there to avoid static charge build up on the output when nothing is connected. This avoids that you hear a loud plop when you plug the preamp into a power amo which is on.

R3 should not have a big impact since it is in parallel with the input resistance of your power amp anyways. If the preamp reacts to such tiny changes in load impedance, something is not optimal.

Do you really run at -16V bias? The way the filament is drawn this results in an average of -16,75V. At 140V thats maybe 2-3mA or even less. That marginal op point is probably the reason why you hear a difference when you remove R3.

What you don't really need is R1. The 26 is low transconductance and not prone to parasitic oscillation. I'd use it without a grid stopper.

Best regards

Thomas
Old 3rd July 2011, 03:25 PM   #1079
diyAudio Member

Hi!

Another comment:

The 26 has a rather highish miller capacitance of about 65pF. Driven from a high impedance pot, this can already impact treble response audibly.

If your sources allow it, go for a lower impedance pot.

Of course a transformer volume control driven by a 26 through a step down transformer is even better.

Best regards

Thomas
Old 3rd July 2011, 04:39 PM   #1080
diyAudio Member

Coolzero - is that a 5uF output capacitor? Is this going straight into a tube amp stage? Is it so close to it so leads can be very short? If that is true, and you have say 270k to 470K total input resistance on the amp (your two resistors in parallel) then a smaller capacitor would give you much better sound, because you could use a better quality capacitor. I'd use Russian 0.1uF Teflon FT-2 or FT-3 in whatever numbers give you a good enough bass response. Parallel for 0.2, 0.3 etc.

I have short leads to my amp and I use a single Teflon 0.1uF FT-2 cap. Inevitably capacitors will have some effect on the sound so this part must be optimised.

If you have a transistor amp that's another story, but surely you don't?

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!