• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Valuable Valves

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow! I've been out of vacuum tube audio for quite awhile, but I didn't think the value (according to Vacuum Tube Valley) of some NOS tubes have gone up that much. I guess I've been around tubes for so long that I take them for granted and I only see their monetary value of what I paid for them many (MANY?) years ago. Tubes such as the Amperex 12AX7 Bugle Boy, made in Holland - I have at least a dozen, new in the box. A couple dozen military grade 6L6, don't remember the maker(s), but I believe they were from the Korean war era. I can't even find a value for matched sets of made-in-England Mullard Gold Lion KT88's of which I have two match pairs, new in the boxes. Guess it's time for me to start thinking about a new audio project so as to not let some of these tubes go to waste.:)

Yes, the same thing happened to me as I started with tube amps in the 1970s. I ended up selling some of the most valuable tubes to buy a really good CD player and the best output transformers I could find. I still have all the small signal tubes, but I am in no hurry to sell them even though I will probably not ever use them all. Ironically, I am still waiting for my best sounding tubes (to my ears) to appreciate in value as I bought way too many, but they remain depressed in price.

Does anyone actually buy these? If so it has to be people who don't listen to music and just collect the tubes.

I wonder where prices will go in the future? The prices of NOS tubes started to go up because there was no other source of quality tubes but now that there are good quality tubes being made again the NOS tubes have less real value except as collectable objects. The bubble could bust on the collectable market at any time.

The only trouble with the stock market is that most people don't follow the basic "buy low sell high" advice. They buy only when the market is high and going higher and then bail out when it crashes. I think the NOS tube market is near peak. It's a good time to be a seller, not a buyer.

So Yes, I'd sell the stash and build an amp with current production tubes that sound good.

Last edited:
The prices of NOS tubes started to go up because there was no other source of quality tubes but now that there are good quality tubes being made again the NOS tubes have less real value except as collectable objects.

For some tubes, though, I don't know if the ones being made today are the equals of the older ones. For others, I'd totally agree that the new ones are as good.

10 years ago when I left Russia I had hundreds of 6E1P, 6E2P, 6E3P, 6N1P, 6N23P, 6J32P tubes in the closet, all in original boxes. I bought them as cheap as a dirt. Unfortunately my daughter and her husband did not know their values and throw them away to spare some space to store some shoes and similar things...

So, do you speak to them at all these days?:(

So, do you speak to them at all these days?:(

A first, they did not know about values of tubes. Second, I did not know that some day I loose all my positions in software business and start trying to return to electronics design. Second, how is it possible not to speak to own children? And last, what all that goods are against human beings?

Actually, I must be smoking something!:eek:
I just got the energy to dig out some of my tubes in storage and the Amperexs' are not Bugle Boy, just regular 12AX7 that are made in Holland (has orange printing on bottle). Also, my NOS KT88s' are not Gold Lion, but they are brand new matched pairs of Genelex KT88 that are made in England. I did find a pair of used Genelex Gold Lion KT88 though. Condition of these are unknown, but they are clean without any fogging, if that makes any difference. Anyway, I found a whole slew of RCA, GE, Sylvania, Tung-Sol, National and Mullard tubes of different types. One of these days I'll get off my lazy rear and catalog all of them so I'll know what the heck I have.:rolleyes: Sorry for the confusion on my part folks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.