• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6SL7 alternatives?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I found this (chinese) 300B PP amp, using 6SL7 as first tube (and 6SN7 as driver).
But doing a drawing of the internals, I find the 6SL7 connected as one triode (both in paralell).
The 6SL7 has a touch much gain, so a 6SN7 does the job almost just as good...

Now, I was thinking, is there a single-triode (octal) 6SL7, or something between SL and SN, or would maybe a 6J5 be a simpler sollution?

Arne K

Joined 2002
Paid Member
thanks...

Loctal would fit (w/adapter)...octal preferred, so the existing socket could stay.

I do not think this first tube needs any "drive", but will disconnecting one half do any unexpected changes? (in front of the 6SN7, that is the splitter/driver).

Arne K

Joined 2002
Paid Member
MingDa 300B PP

My napkin drawings..:

Arne K

Coments, please

Attachments

• Scan10002a.gif
    Scan10002a.gif
    36.2 KB · Views: 569
  • Scan10002b.gif
    Scan10002b.gif
    25.8 KB · Views: 561
I found this (chinese) 300B PP amp, using 6SL7 as first tube (and 6SN7 as driver).
But doing a drawing of the internals, I find the 6SL7 connected as one triode (both in paralell).
The 6SL7 has a touch much gain, so a 6SN7 does the job almost just as good...

Now, I was thinking, is there a single-triode (octal) 6SL7, or something between SL and SN, or would maybe a 6J5 be a simpler sollution?

Arne K

hey-Hey!!!,
I'd consider an octal-nine pin adapter and apply a single 6S3p Russian single for your 6SL7 stage. mu is ~40 so you'll loose jus' a bit of gain.
cheers,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.