• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dynaco st70 vs Heathkit W5M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I personaly have done both and I really like the W5M's. I used the triodeel driver board and did all the usual upgrades on the St-70 and for the W5M's I just did some simple upgrades such replace all the electrolytics, metal film resistors, Hovland musicaps and a set of Golden dragon Kt-66's and I must say the W5M's sounded very nice! They even spent a week at the local Hi-Fi store for some auditioning. Either one will make a very nice amp/amp's. The St-70 is all on the same chassis and with the W5M's being monoblocks= two of them for stereo= twice the space and twice the upgrades. One thing to beware of though is that the W5M's are notorious for the power tranny going bad! It will happen, it's just a matter of time. Once this happens you are stuck with trying to find a original replacement. I personally liked the W5M's better. Just my .02 :) Cheers

Attachments

• Heathkit W5-M Amp 1.jpg
    Heathkit W5-M Amp 1.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 527
  • Heathkit W5-M Amp 2.jpg
    Heathkit W5-M Amp 2.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 497
One thing to beware of though is that the W5M's are notorious for the power tranny going bad! It will happen, it's just a matter of time. Once this happens you are stuck with trying to find a original replacement.

Heathkit must have sold replacement PT's for a while. I've seen W5's with larger power transformers in square black boxes like the one that's on my W4. Mine has cloth covered leads, so it's not a newer model.

Jeff

Thanks for the replies...I have 2 w5m amps with the larger output trans that I picked up at a garage sale for 10.00. The power trans was not working in one and I used a Hammond as a replacement. I just picked up a used original trans that I will install. I have one st-70 with the GSI Fuchs board and another with the VTA board. I have not hooked them up for comparison yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.