Posted new P-P power amp design - Page 89 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2011, 02:31 AM   #881
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
Can someone recommend some flavors of 600v coupling caps? Looks like a cant use my favorite parts express foil bypass cap since its rated at only 400v. Or could i get 2 .47uf ones and run them in series, or would that sound like crap? Im trying to avoid spending more on caps then on tubes. Looks like one shipping bill is going to be just for caps.

AES - Parts Catalog

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/...H_TREE03=0630V

PS: post 750 said there needed 8 resistors for a 6hj5, are they still needed?
I have used these Mallory caps and compared them to my Auricaps and I really couldn't tell the difference. If anything you could use these and switch them out at a later date if you so desire.
AES - Parts Catalog

I didn't really splurge but I picked up four Obbligato Copper Caps from Diyhifisupply http://www.diyhifisupply.com/node/72 for my red board.

Last edited by nic6paul; 7th March 2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old 7th March 2011, 03:05 AM   #882
diyAudio Member

Quote:
PS: post 750 said there needed 8 resistors for a 6hj5, are they still needed?
I was referring to the screen and control grid stopper resistors. These are the same parts shown in the parts list (no additional parts), but they don't get put into the holes shown on the board. The pinout of the 6HJ5 is not the same as the tubes the board was designed for so the resistors get misplaced on purpose. Do not power up the board with 6HJ5's with the resistors in the stock location.

Quote:
I have used these Mallory caps and compared them to my Auricaps and I really couldn't tell the difference.
I have heard statements that the Mallory's "sound harsh" and "are made for guitar amps". I have used them in the Simple SE, Simple P-P and yes in red board #1. I put some European MKP's in boards #2 and #3 because I got them cheap at a hamfest while the boards were being assembled. I haven't noticed any difference between board #1 and #2. I did put Auricaps in my Tubelab SE's but they also got other high $$$ parts like Electra Print OPT's.
Old 7th March 2011, 03:21 AM   #883
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
Can someone recommend some flavors of 600v coupling caps?
I've got .22uf 1000v K40-Y9's in a couple amps. Sound fine to me, and cheap.

jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K40Y9 red board.jpg (123.4 KB, 574 views)
Old 8th March 2011, 01:02 PM   #884
diyAudio Member

vinylkid is right, the K40Y9 are cheap and sound very good. Another excellent option is the Multicap PPFX (NOT PPMFX), reasonable in price and better sounding than the other Multicaps which gave them a bad name.

There may be better caps in this world than the TFTF from V-Cap, but they are simply amazing. Take forever to break-in, horribly expensive, but truly worth it for those top-of-the-line projects.

Stuart
Old 12th March 2011, 11:04 PM   #885
Jaap is offline Jaap  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I just fired up my version of this amp for the first time with 6HJ5's and old Fisher outputs. Voltages are about as specified by millett, 41 mA through the outputtubes. I have a 39K anode resistor on the 6cb6 because I will attempt to bring up the B+ to 400 volt or so. No global NFB.
I made it P2P and it looks like a jungle or a Japanese city under the deck, but there is very little hum on one channel and none on the other channel. I use a different B+ regulator with dn2540 mosfet and 2 glow tubes in the 150V regulator.

The amp sounds really unbelievable good in the first minutes already. I will tweak it further and report later.
Old 13th March 2011, 04:14 AM   #886
drj759 is offline drj759  United States
diyAudio Member

Another one born tonight with stock components, 6GV5 outputs and 6CB6 drivers. I'm waiting on iron from Edcor (the stock PM-100 Edcor set as specified by Pete plus two CXPP100-MS-4.2K for future experiments). I scavenged my Z565 dynaclone OPTs from my build of Eli's El Cheapo for now. They're 8k p-p rated at 17.5 Watts. They seem to hold their own. Low end seems well controlled except for the really low end. B+ is low at 220V. Using one 10 pounder wired with full wave bridge.

The amp does sound really good.

One issue though. Amp had been playing for about 10 minutes. I took the attached picture and then turned away from the amp to put the camera down. By the time I turned back towards the amp, I noticed the 6GV5 second from the left decided to turn into a glow tube . I had the amp plugged into the wall (no kill switch) and as I frantically reached for the plug, the 2 amp fuse on the input side to the 10 pounder blew to save the day. Inspection of the board did not reveal any damage. Replaced the gassy 6GV5 with another and the amp played fine for the next hour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCPP_Pic.jpg (131.3 KB, 440 views)

Last edited by drj759; 13th March 2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 13th March 2011, 08:56 AM   #887
August is online now August  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
I made it P2P and it looks like a jungle or a Japanese city under the deck
I would like to see a picture please Jaap. Sounds like a daunting task.
Old 13th March 2011, 10:16 AM   #888
Jaap is offline Jaap  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I would like to see a picture please Jaap. Sounds like a daunting task.
Looks interesting, sounds great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp1.jpg (171.1 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg amp3.jpg (148.8 KB, 418 views)
Old 13th March 2011, 11:56 AM   #889
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

It appears that Mamak has posted 17 times this morning.
Are any of them on topic?
Has someone hacked into his account?

Is this worth investigating?

Andrew T.
Old 13th March 2011, 12:33 PM   #890
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Looking in to it.

Hide this!Advertise here!