Posted new P-P power amp design - Page 77 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2011, 11:52 PM   #761
diyAudio Member

Posting from smartphone because hotel internet is down. When I set out to choose a tube for my breadboard I created this monster spreadsheet that took several things into consideration including price and inventory. I am still waffling between using a single tube and seperate triodes and pentodes. The breadboard currently has a dual section tube and my choice IS the 9DX base. I got several samples of each one that is listed on the dollar menu. Many of these tubes were never used outside the USA so the best choice for a new board design is probably a 9A dual triode and a pair of 9AQ pentodes.
Old 12th February 2011, 01:26 AM   #762
diyAudio Member

I collected some tubes today to feed to the hungry red board. The 6HD5 can substitute for the 6HJ5 in this board. I got some. Other good finds 18 X 6KN6 all of the twin plate variety. It seems that they dont work in ham RF amps. 9 X 6GJ5, 10 X 6HS5, 2 X 6GV5, 20 X 6GY5 and 10 X 16KA6. Some will go, some will glow.
Old 12th February 2011, 02:20 AM   #763
diyAudio Member

Wish I were there, sounds like fun.
6HD5 10.0 approval rating
Do the doubled up guts in those 6KN6 tubes look like any tube you have ever seen before?
6GJ5... got pins? Those are nine pin, some kind of adapter?
6HS5? Yuk! Those are those beam triode thingies. Molotov cocktails maybe.
6GV5 9.0 approval rating
6GY5 9.9 approval rating
16KA6 8.5 approval rating
Back for more tomorrow I guess. Hope you've got some cash left.
Old 12th February 2011, 01:20 PM   #764
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
Posting from smartphone because hotel internet is down.
At the "Ham-Cation" in Orlando?
Old 12th February 2011, 05:20 PM   #765
diyAudio Member

I looked up some images of two the 6KN6 versions. Looks like the dual version is a custom design, never seen any long skinny single pentodes like that. The tube vendors must have decided it was too expensive a construction later and redesigned it as a single. Unusual 400 mA max DC spec for a 30 Watt tube, but a 3 Amp filament to pay for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42KN6_double.jpg (9.1 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg 6KN6_single.jpg (101.0 KB, 534 views)
Old 13th February 2011, 03:07 AM   #766
diyAudio Member

Quote:
At the "Ham-Cation" in Orlando?.....Back for more tomorrow I guess. Hope you've got some cash left.
Yes, I left when the hamfest officials threw us out about an hour after closing time today. Just got home and inventoried the stash. There is still money left in my wallet. I got a total of 200 tubes. 82 were from ESRC. The hamfest was just the delivery point. I also got some more 12 pin and 7 pin sockets from Stan. He had a box full of 6HD5's in dirty and broken boxes. I got a deal on all of them. The 6HJ5's all appear to be made by the same vendor. All are stamped "LYFA". The 6HD5's are either stamped "LYFA" or "LFA" and look to be from the same source. A few look different and appear to be Japanese.

There was a vendor selling components by the bag full and tubes by the box full. Friday I paid the asking $35 to fill a box with the biggest sweep tubes I could find.

18 X 6KN6 NOS Sylvania
9 X 6GJ5 NOS Sylvania
10 X 6HS5 NOS Sylvania
2 X 6GV5 NOS Sylvania
20 X 6CB6 NOS GE (small tubes to fill the box because no more big ones would fit)

I went back today and collected about 25 pounds of components, mostly electrolytic and silver mica capacitors for $22. I also negotiated a big box of tubes for $40

18 X 17JM6 NOS Sylvania
10 X 6GV5 NOS Sylvania
5 X 21HD5 NOS Sylvania
4 X 26HU5 NOS Raytheon
3 X 6AV5GA NOS Assorted
3 X 21JZ6 NOS Sylvania
3 X 17JN6 NOS Sylvania
1 Each NOS Assorted 21SJ6, 6GE5, 6HS5, 12GE5, 6HB5 22JV6, 22JU6

So not counting the 6CB6's I got 92 NOS sweep tubes for $75. Thats 76 cents each, so I can afford to blow up a few!

I also picked up 6 random used tubes from various vendors for $1 each or less.

Quote:
6HS5? Yuk! Those are those beam triode thingies. Molotov cocktails maybe.
I got some 6JD5's when they were on the $1 list. Same type of tube. I am convinced that these things can be used to make a really big amp. I have not learned how to tame them yet. They do make great oscillators.

Quote:
Do the doubled up guts in those 6KN6 tubes look like any tube you have ever seen before?
No and the plates are close together. This could lead to hot spots.

I am not going to believe any approval ratings until I see the glow!
Old 13th February 2011, 03:47 AM   #767
diyAudio Member

Nice finds! Lot of people at the Ham-fest? I should look into the one up around here. Can't wait to hear your testing results. Wait till the wife finds the stash tucked under the bed though. Better send them up here when you finish torturing them. Happy testing.

edit:
Ever think of putting a tube graveyard in the back yard? Imagine some archeologist finding it someday. I've seen large beer bottle and wine bottle piles before, but Sweep tubes would take the cake.

Don

Last edited by smoking-amp; 13th February 2011 at 03:53 AM.
Old 13th February 2011, 08:31 AM   #768
August is offline August  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I ordered a bunch of 16GY5's from Stan, will only have to deal with different filament voltage. So I get to keep the plate cap

I will be interested to learn about the 9DX base options if it will improve the amp. I will be using 6DK6 to start with. If the gain is not enough I can drive it from my preamp.

Just a thought: What about adding a lightspeed attenuator for volume control?
Old 13th February 2011, 02:42 PM   #769
August is offline August  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Wrong button, sorry for the extra post. Anyway my red board arrived, thanks Pete.
Old 13th February 2011, 03:00 PM   #770
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I ordered a bunch of 16GY5's from Stan, will only have to deal with different filament voltage. So I get to keep the plate cap

I will be interested to learn about the 9DX base options if it will improve the amp. I will be using 6DK6 to start with. If the gain is not enough I can drive it from my preamp.

Just a thought: What about adding a lightspeed attenuator for volume control?
Check out the hammond 167P16 and 167M16 transformers for your filament voltages. Although you may have something available locally that fits the bill

Hide this!Advertise here!