• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cathode follower Class A output stage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: CF

316a said:
Hello ,
I've been pondering over something similar using 7236/5998a and mains toroids as output trannies which should work rather well . Driver stage is the main hiccup ! 316a
Hi 316a. Driver stage - yeah, it's gotta swing lots of volts doesn't it? Maybe bootstrapping it's dc rail from the output tube cathode would help. I assume you would use a parafeed setup when you use a toroid as an output tranny - it won't give very good bass response with dc flowing through it. There is no airgap in the core. Uhh, actually did you mean single ended or push pull class A? :scratch: You just gotta post the results when you get it going, ok?
pedroskova, that would be good if you would email me the pdf. Thank you. :) Thanks for the link too.

Re: Toroids

316a said:
remember the 'power' long tailed pair output stage I posted a while back ?

316a

I built a 12E1 PP using an almost identical biassing scheme. Op points were 240Va-k, 120mA/tube, -34V , 5ka-a using a battery biassed 820 on a big sink. Got about 12W out of it. Took it apart to use the PS components in something else, as it was a bit hard on the chokes I had at the time. Sounded very good for a lash-up.

Which depletion mode MOS are you going to use? The DN2450?

Cheers

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CFs...getting fed up.

Hi,

that's why CFs are most linear when they are CCS loaded.

There's a small raft of different CFs out there but either way it's hard to make a "Joe Average CF" more linear than it is already.

Oh well not all CSSs are made equal either...

A CCS will linearise virtually any circuit...whether you like the result or not is an other issue altogether...

Making generalisations like that is not going to help you nor anyone else...

Cheers,;)

pedroskova said:
Anthony Dockrill had an article in Valve discussing a 10Y driving a parafed CF 6L6GC in tetrode mode. No longer up on the web, but I could email you the pdf.
Got it. Thanks. :nod: Interesting that he refers to it as tetrode mode but it is really in triode mode because the cathode is moving up and down while the plate and screen are staying put, i.e. plate and screen are doing the same thing. For tetrode mode, the screen should move up and down with the cathode but at a fixed voltage above it, while the plate stays still. Only read that recently, didn't realise it mysef until then.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: CFs...getting fed up.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

There's a small raft of different CFs out there but either way it's hard to make a "Joe Average CF" more linear than it is already.

Oh well not all CSSs are made equal either...

A CCS will linearise virtually any circuit...whether you like the result or not is an other issue altogether...

Making generalisations like that is not going to help you nor anyone else...

Cheers,;)
interesting-most apealing way to make any stage in tube amp or preamp (for me,off course) is to use single triode and xformer,hehe-in any order you want or can;
I know that is not best way in any case,but I just like sound made with lotsa iron

:goodbad:
accent was on right Rload,not on CCS.I like CCS in heater circ,but I realy don't bother much with implementation of same in cathode or anode.
but,what is important-is good to know and try various ways in achieving to make good stage.
(that's why I asked for some schmtc;) )
for me seems that more important are some other things for good stage.like operating point,slew rate,etc etc are;
in fact ,I almost hate most of SRPP designs,even real CCS loaded-I can't say much more except that sound made in that way is sorta boring :devily:
be well!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.