• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ixcp 10m45s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mouser does not have too prohibitive handling/shipping charges. If it does seem too much for just four of the IXYS jobbys you could always make up an order of stuff that is hard to get anywhere else. Or just build some CCS. Not sure but are the 10M45 just a fet that you use a programming res to set the current?
Cheers Matt.

I suspect 10M45 closely aproximates a "ring of two" enhancement mosfets...
I'm just not sure how the internal gate is pulled up.

Attachments

• ringoftwo.gif
    ringoftwo.gif
    30.9 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
hiya mach1 - thanks for that - it is actually the "ring of two" concept I need to understand fully. Got a source? I am currently delving into my first CCS project using the pinkmouse/diyaudio BJT design, and a basic MJE350 single-device design as basis (basii?), but I'm terminally clueless about the operating details. I get how the LED or zener sets the operating point in conjunction with a current sensing/limiting resistor, but I feel I need something else...

Thats not from any official sources, just my opinion how maybe it works inside...
IXYS ain't tellin, and you can draw about any conclusion from "equivalent circuit".

Two things concern me... 1) two gates in a ring gives the possibilty of unstable
phase shift, so maybe thats not whats inside.... 2) I havn't a clue how they pull
up the top gate reliably over that range of voltages without blowing anything.
Obviously IXYS has both these problems solved.

If I were building DIY, I'd use N'Pass circuit. One gate can't shift more than 90,
so its most likely gonna be a stable ring. As for the BJT ring of two, you maybe
got issues with carrier storage. The lower transistor almost has to saturate to
work at such low VBE. Nelson's MOSFET gives his bipolar a few more volts to
play with, which keeps both parts happy.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.