• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

looking for fairly simple project for Eico 81 OPT's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I recently picked up a pair of nice OPT's from an Eico 81 amp. I am looking for a good, fairly simple to build, EL84 or similar PP schematic to use them with. I have Googled and searched around some but haven't really seen anything that caught my attention.

Thanks for your help.
Jeff

Hi,
I recently picked up a pair of nice OPT's from an Eico 81 amp. I am looking for a good, fairly simple to build, EL84 or similar PP schematic to use them with. I have Googled and searched around some but haven't really seen anything that caught my attention.

Thanks for your help.
Jeff

The Dyna ST-35 is one - and you can by a PCB at diytube.com. Or point-to-point wire the same circuit.

About 6 years ago, I copied a Leak Stereo 20 schematic and it sounded fantastic. There's something special about the sound of PP, cathode biased EL84's. I found it was quite noisy with a 12AX7 for the LTP, so I used a 12AT7 instead. There are no UL taps on those trannys....just use a 330 ohm to 1K ohm resistor between the screens and the B+.

This sounds good considering its simplicity. Needs a bit of modification for EL84

Attachments

• Self Splitter.jpg
    Self Splitter.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 161
I just finished the Oddblocks project at www.Diyaudioprojects.com, which uses this type of CCS arrangement with a LM317 as a self inverting circuit. It sounds fantastic! I have never seen it using 2 CSS like here, I wonder what the purpose of x2 LM317's serve?
I think if I were to go this route again I woud use Bruce Heran's design for the EL84. Thanks though, again a very interesting design.
Jeff

I just finished the Oddblocks project at www.Diyaudioprojects.com, which uses this type of CCS arrangement with a LM317 as a self inverting circuit. It sounds fantastic! I have never seen it using 2 CSS like here, I wonder what the purpose of x2 LM317's serve?
I think if I were to go this route again I woud use Bruce Heran's design for the EL84. Thanks though, again a very interesting design.
Jeff

By using two LM317's you fix the standing current in both valves which avoids core saturation in the OT. It never needs adjustment. The caps allow the differential nature of the output to be preserved.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.