• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New Hybrid Driver/Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I'm simulating a new hybrid amplifier, a pure class A hybrid driver (6N6P differential pair + mosfet) and a AB mosfet output stage.
My ideaa is to build an "universal" hybrid class A driver and try different output configurations, from AB PP to pure SE (both solid state and vacuum based).
The driver should be mounted on a separate PCB, while the power output stage could be mounted on the heatsink or on the amp chassis.
Below the circuit I simulated for the driver and the complete amplifier (the first one) I indtend to try.
Any comment?
What do you think, is it a good idea?
It simulate amazingly well, and it seems stable.
The driver, supplied with a +155V and a -120V can output a 200Vpp signal with 0.017% THD.

You also need the TL431 model to simulate my circuits, please find it HERE.

Driver schematic:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Complete amplifier schematic:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Driver sim:
Driver

Amplifier sim:
Amplifier

let me know what you think.

Ciao,
Giovanni

One problem with tubes is the heat up time.
During this time the output will go to one rail and apply DC to your speaker.

With my hybrid I simply bolt on an SRPP stage to the front of a standard class AB MOSFET amplifier.

Whoops ! not quite true.
As the SRPP tube stage has a gain of 13 I reduce the gain of the MOSFET amp by a factor of 13.

One problem with tubes is the heat up time.
During this time the output will go to one rail and apply DC to your speaker.

With my hybrid I simply bolt on an SRPP stage to the front of a standard class AB MOSFET amplifier.

I know, this is why I will add a delay relay at the output, to just avoid DC on the speakers.

One more opamp...

Yes, actually. But will this particular opamp sound fine? :xfingers:

At the end I think the only way to really know is to build one of this amp; I'm designing the driver PCB (the output stage will be wired point to point, for the first prototype), so we will see (or, better, listen).

This post was just to see if there is any major issue with the idea, but it seems no one blamed the schematic.

I'll let you know.

Ciao,
Giovanni

Yes, actually. But will this particular opamp sound fine? :xfingers:

At the end I think the only way to really know is to build one of this amp; I'm designing the driver PCB (the output stage will be wired point to point, for the first prototype), so we will see (or, better, listen).

This post was just to see if there is any major issue with the idea, but it seems no one blamed the schematic.

I'll let you know.

Giovanni;

after you've done I would suggest you to try to replace R21/M7 by a BJT current mirror and compare results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.