• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sad News about George Wright

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If this has already been posted, feel free to delete.

From the Wright Sound home page:

Special announcement:
Dear Wright Sound Customers and Friends,
It is with great sadness that we report that George Wright went home to be with the Lord on August 21, 2009. He is celebrating with those who have gone on before him and we will see him again one day.
George's passing means the end of Wright Sound company. He was the brillance behind the equipment. Without him, there is no company. Those of you who knew George know that he had a passion for tube equipment and he truly was gifted in electronics. He will be sorely missed for his humor and his incredible knowledge about all things tube related.

To all of our customers over the years, George would like to say thanks. It was a heck of a ride and he enjoyed sharing his passion for music with you.

Take care, live life to the fullest, and be blessed.
Brenda Wright
George Wright (son)
There are some Units that George had built for sale before he went into the hospital. They have all been checked out and are ready for sale. Check out out close out page to see what is available.

Last edited:
Never heard of him before, so I did some Googling. Looks like he had a preference for Williamson-type designs, and made the gain stage after the cathodyne a differential.

The single-ended amps are available only with zero feedback, while the push-pull WPA50-50 power amp has switchable feedback from 0 to -10dB

He sure got that right: you don't need much more gNFB than that. I include adjustable gNFB instead of switchable, but 12db(v) of gNFB is definitely starting to sound "solid statey". Obviously George Wright discovered the same thing.

Never heard of him before, so I did some Googling. Looks like he had a preference for Williamson-type designs, and made the gain stage after the cathodyne a differential.

He sure got that right: you don't need much more gNFB than that. I include adjustable gNFB instead of switchable, but 12db(v) of gNFB is definitely starting to sound "solid statey". Obviously George Wright discovered the same thing.

George "Always Right" Wright had a profound influence on many designers, I believe that he had probably tried nearly every imaginable configuration.

Not to be a forum jumper, but this is what Doc Bottlehead had to say:

What a shame. George was a truly sweet guy, intelligent, gentle, and with a marvelously stubborn streak of old school practicality to his design philosophy. We started our businesses at the same time, and George gave us the design that later evolved into the original Foreplay and also became incorporated into his own preamps. I owned George's first attempt at a full preamp with phono stage, that I used for several years. Nothing else sounded as good at the time.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.