• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EF86 replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey

Now that the price of EF86 is towering :eek:, are there some who have tried to replace the EF86 with EF184 or EF95/6AK5 or 5654?

Yes, I know that the pin connections / sockets are different.

Benny

E80F and EF804 are good substitutes but may not be any less expensive, just
less popular... Different pinout on the EF804 at least

Ummmm... not loctal, it's that weird minature thing (B8A).

Cool thing is Shuguang is making sockets for them again, yay! :)

Cheers!

Mea Culpa. Not enough coffee. The Shuguang sockets are great, however they don't have the rim into which the boss locks (making it possible to mis-align the tube) and won't take tubes which have a central spigot (eg 6l19).

I wonder if the price of all those great rimlock tubes is going to start taking off now?

EF184, EF95, EF80 [etc..etc] can substitute the EF86 only after the whole circuit has been redesigned.

Simply, the EF86 is usually designed to run about 1 to 3mA (where it offers a slope of about 2mA/V). EF95 likes 6 to 8mA, while EF80, EF184 and legions of other IF-type pentodes of same class prefer 10mA at least. and their slopes are much higher, too.

Trying to run these IF-pentodes at low current makes them sound much worse than they are capable of, IMHO. And that is no surprise - just look at the low-current part of the curves.

The 6BR7 mentioned by Barretter is a fine substitute though, especially if you find some Brimar "Trustworthy" series parts. Other than rewiring the socket, only a small adjustment for sound is needed.

Since these are already getting expensive, too then I would vote for Wavebourn's 6J32 Russian: 6ж32. They seem to be made by Svetlana recently, maybe they are still, and often labelled EF86. I don't have any to compare the sound to, but at least they are suitable for existing amps out there - which the others are not!

What about EF36/EF37/EF37A?

Octal predecessor to the minature EF86.

IMO, the red paint coated coke bottle shaped version is sexy.
Need a top cap and is a octal valve.

Raymond
aad0109.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.