• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EF86 replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It really is sad there are no more small signal pentodes being made (as far as I know). I tend to like the sound in music amps quite a bit, esp. for guitar.

e80f is not really a direct sub for ef86. It would sound much better than EF86 in the appropriate circuit, but dropped right in I am not sure things are ideal. Apparently there's a few predecessors of this tube that have different naming, but they were designed for EEG pickups and other small signal stuff (for what that's worth).

5879 is a great sounding pentode too, but I've always seen them in spring mounts with steel shields. Might as well call them microphones instead of pentodes, but I've only seen a limited sample set. Somewhat similar sound to EF86 (apples and oranges I know).

Don't forget 6sj7, the octal audio pentode. Good sonics but like the 5879 makes a good microphone. Never tried it for music listening, just for music playing though.

Anyone heard or used a 6L7 for anything? The old RCA books seem to like 'em a lot for various strange audio purposes. If I recall correctly it's a heptode...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.