Super Simple Valve Pre-amp Suggestions? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2009, 08:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Super Simple Valve Pre-amp Suggestions?

I've recently come into possession of an old Technics keyboard which outputs a very, very quiet signal, which I'd like to boost to get some use out of the thing.

I also found a ECC83 knocking about, so I'm wondering if I can put two and two together to make some kind of preamp for the keyboard?

However my electronics skills aren't up to much, I've only really dabbled with effects pedals and such so would creating a preamp be far too complicated?

I'm looking for the most idiotproof, basic schematic ideally.
Old 26th August 2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Merlinb is offline Merlinb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You might like to try the Real McTube.

http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/mchowit.htm

It has a bit of a cult following. Ok, it's a fuzz pedal really, but all the important parts are there, and it uses the same tube you have.
For keyboard obviously you'd want to tweak it for less gain and a clean sound, by reducing R4-R7, which is easy. The important stuff is that you have a working power supply to play with, and it uses two ordinary 12V transformers, so it's a great introduction and building-platform if you want to make the leap from pedals to real gear!
Old 27th August 2009, 04:57 AM   #3
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Tube pres are mostly very simple in the signal circuits, or I should say simple enough. There're many single stage triode pre amps around. I don't know how one can make it even simpler.

However, inevitably any tube needs a certain "environment" to work properly. That'd be from fairly simple to ultra complex. Simple can be good, but too simple won't get you a nice result.

Tubes love clean power, lots of irons, voltage or current regulation... etc. These make things complex, but tubes always want them.
Old 27th August 2009, 05:24 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

hmmmn - what is the signal level, and what is the preamp going to feed? A single, twin-triode tube actually gives a few topology options, but a bit more info is required before you could "recommend" any particular scheme...
Old 29th August 2009, 04:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinb View Post
You might like to try the Real McTube.

http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/mchowit.htm

It has a bit of a cult following. Ok, it's a fuzz pedal really, but all the important parts are there, and it uses the same tube you have.
For keyboard obviously you'd want to tweak it for less gain and a clean sound, by reducing R4-R7, which is easy. The important stuff is that you have a working power supply to play with, and it uses two ordinary 12V transformers, so it's a great introduction and building-platform if you want to make the leap from pedals to real gear!
This looks fantastic! Even found a site selling circuitboards for it so I won't have to go point to point, which I'm horrendously messy with. I guess it is mostly a case of tweaking the gain and reducing any noise. Haven't used transformers before though.

Hide this!Advertise here!