How to test a subminiature tube - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2009, 03:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to test a subminiature tube

I recently thought of a project for a subminiature tube. I have a small supply of JAN6418 subminiature tubes I purchased a few years ago. The question is: How do I test these. I own a B&K model 707 DynaJet tube tester. The tube is not listed in tester charts, is there a way to make a converter to test these little tubes? Thanks in advance!
Old 21st August 2009, 07:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

While a 707 is a nice tester (I have one) it's a semi dedicated tester to the tubes listed and has no submin socket. The 6418 takes a maximum of 30 volts. Even if you had a submin to octal adaptor, you would have to lower the plate & screen voltage with an external network. The drive signal may also have to be lowered. Then test several known good ones and develop a curve. Not very practical. Many of the better Hickoks have a provision for a low voltage test of these subminiature tubes.
Old 22nd August 2009, 01:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Tester replacement model?

Thanks HollowState for the advice. I've had this B&K tester for years and years, it's been very adequate. I'm starting to have problems with it so now is a good time to perhaps replace it. Any suggestions on which Hickock model would be a good choice for submini's and more conventional tubes?
Old 22nd August 2009, 01:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayveshome View Post
Any suggestions on which Hickock model would be a good choice for submini's and more conventional tubes?
Well, both the 539C and 752A will test them. They have compactron 12 pin and novar 9 pin sockets too. The older 533/A, 534, 539A/B & 752 also will but are minus the two sockets just mentioned. (you'll need adaptors) And the 6000/A probably will as well as the KS (Western Electric) version of the 539B will. But remember, not all submins require low voltage testing like your 6418s. I happen to be familiar with these tubes because they are used in some older General Radio and Keithley instruments.
Old 23rd August 2009, 03:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi davyshome ,

HollowState gave excellent tips about Tube Testers . But if you want a lot of information
about this subject , I recommend the book :
" Tube Testers and Classic Electronic Test Gear '' by Alan Douglas ( Sonoran Publishing -
2000 )

Regards,

Carlos

Hide this!Advertise here!