• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube rollers - what tubes for my RH84?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm about to commence building my first tube amp, an RH84.

The tube complement is

1 off 5U4 rectifier
1 off ECC81
2 off EL84

I'm not interested in hearing about unobtainium, but what have RH84 builders out there found to be sweet tubes, or sweet combo's?

* Yes, I know sound quality depends on the iron and also on the passives, but I want to limit this discussion to experience of tubes in this amp.

What should I buy?

cheers

Doug

Use quality capacitors for C1 (10uF-350V), it pays off.
For the power supply use a beafy transformer (250mA HT), this is my setup.

Must admit that this amp sounds much bigger than the 5+5W it puts out :)

Attachments

• RH84-schema-PSU.gif
    RH84-schema-PSU.gif
    26.3 KB · Views: 245
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Russian 6P14P-EV or ER is a good sounding 6BQ5 equivalent and quite rugged - readily available on eBay for little money. It is one of the nicer sounding tubes I have tried in some hi-fi SE amps. Compared them to Telefunken 6BQ5 and GE 7189A. IMO it was better sounding than the GE, and I thought was very comparable to the Teles.

Give 'em a shot..

Last edited:
The ECC81 I liked best was NOS Mullard. Also old production Philips and Brimar are excellent. When buying used tubes be sure they measure up to spec because there's a lot of worn out junk for sale. Don't pay more than 15 - 20 euro for a NOS ECC81.

Attachments

• RH84-blauw1.jpg
    RH84-blauw1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 235
  • RH84-schema.jpg
    RH84-schema.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 220
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Russian 6P14P-EV or ER is a good sounding 6BQ5 equivalent and quite rugged - readily available on eBay for little money. It is one of the nicer sounding tubes I have tried in some hi-fi SE amps. Compared them to Telefunken 6BQ5 and GE 7189A. IMO it was better sounding than the GE, and I thought was very comparable to the Teles.

Give 'em a shot..

I should have noted while not exactly identical to the RH84 the amplifier in question was based on the RH84 and is generally similar. (Same principal of operation, just a few values tweaked - the amp was not one of mine.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.