• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Its alive!!! Aikido 5687

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, its been about 8 months in the making but my Aikido 5687 is finally making noise tonight!!!

Its a 5687 board with 6CG7...Edcor XPWR106 Rat Shack 12.6V filament xformer, Triad C-14X choke and Bas' PSU board.

This will be feeding my Tubelab SimpleSE. I must say that the system is really quiet...I have been lucky with no hum. I am running '80s vintage Polk bookshelves M4.5 and it sounds really nice.

Pics will follow shortly...
Carl

The heaters run on A/C and what little I heard - no noise...

I have taken all the standard precautions...twisted pairs etc... and used shielded wire for the inputs/outputs except in a couple short run areas.

I have a SS rectifier and the other parts to convert it to D/C if necessary....

Here are some pics...been listening to it for the last couple hours...really sounds great.

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

Yes, the sound from the 5687/6CG4 Aikido is very nice. There is absolutely no noticeable hum at all. I have probably 30-40 hours listening time on it by now and I am very happy. The gain seems appropriate and I am using an el cheapo Alpha 100K audio taper pot.

I will be taking the top plate off soon and finishing the wood soon with a stain and poly - I will also remove the blue film and tidy up some of the wiring when I reassemble it.

I was wondering how much of a difference it would make...as with anything I guess you get what you pay for...

I was also considering upgrading to some quality homemade interconnects. I am using the cheap ones I have had since college - probably the ones that came with a receiver or something....

I think the pot will make a bigger difference.
The cheap carbon wipers can really contaminate your signal. Just an extra 7-8 dollars. Or you can do much better if you're willing to spend more on a stepped attenuator. :D

I've got some Blue Jeans Interconnects for 30USD. Not sure if they make such a difference that you can immediately tell the difference.

Whereas the pot is a different ball game.

cjkpkg, just wondering why there are 3 pots in your preamp? Which one do you use to control the volume? On my regular 9-pin Aikido, I have a cheap RS Alps pot at the input. Maybe I should do like Brit and use my good 10K + 20K resistor. Brit, is the 20K at the input or output of the pot and do you have this setup at the input to the amp?

Btw, my setup of 12au7 input and 6dj8 output is giving me way too much gains on my sensitive speakers. I might have to spring for this 5687 version but I am tempted by JB's octal all in one version. Thanks.

I guess my little netbook's screen is too small to see the switches. I now notice that you have the volume control at the output as oppose to the input. Is there a rule of thumb on where the volume control should go, especially on the Aikido circuit?

Brit01, thanks for the tip on adding the 20K resistor, I think I'll do this with my good 10K pot. I am currently using a 100K Alps and it doesn't sound too bad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.