• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for curves for obscure tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been real busy working around the house until recently. I was sorting some of my collection and started with globe and st shaped tubes. I came across what appear to be NOS Tung-Sol 485' (4 of them). The only data I can find is make plate voltage of 180 and Mu of 12.5 or so. I am wondering if anyone has in their collection of data some curves? It appears this was a very little used tube. I am always up for a challenge and I was thinking a nice line stage using these might be nice.

Anyone got any further info on these?

I can't find any info on the 485, but I can offer this. I found an old Sparton radio chassis in the dirt at a flea market. I got it for $10. It had a bunch of globe tubes in it and I don't remember all of the numbers. The output tubes were marked National Union NX-483. They had a guarantee sticker from 1929! The NX483 turns out to be the same as a 183 which is an output triode that works like a 45 with a 5 volt filament. They sound really nice in a Tubelab SE.

It is possible that the 485 could be an NX-485 or could be similar to a 185. A quick Google search didn't turn up anything, but maybe some of the old radio sites may have some info.

Thanks guys! I guess what I will do is try a simple gain stage and cathode follower and listen??

I come across a lot of interesting tubes using the "flea market" method. I have also found that showing interest as "something I know nothing about but would like to play with" gets the price much lower than giving away that I know about tubes. LOL

Quick question that I know both of you can answer,

What load resistance should I use if I know the Plate resistance from the little data I have?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.