• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Shielded cables - success

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got a few projects on the go at the same time (headphone amp/Buffer and Aikido), and always had issues with the noise from the wire the precedes that volume pot to the grid.

Just tried some coaxial cable used for the tv.

The quietest cable I've tried. Dead silent:D :D :D :D .. even when touching the wire while it's playing.

I grounded the outer shield just at one end.

Cheap and effective solution.

Good to know that there are more flexible cables.

Think mine is the standard RG175 which is a little rigid to say the least.

Think I'll have to look for some flexible options as you suggested. Also I couldn't solder anything to the shield of this cable.

Could you solder wire to the shield of the other cables mentioned??

Brit01 said:
Good to know that there are more flexible cables.

Think mine is the standard RG175 which is a little rigid to say the least.

Think I'll have to look for some flexible options as you suggested. Also I couldn't solder anything to the shield of this cable.

Could you solder wire to the shield of the other cables mentioned??

The braid on the stuff I'm using for signal wiring solders no problem; it's RG-174 IIRC. You have to apply some heat to it with the iron, since it's got a lot of thermal mass. I also use a little flux when soldering the shield/braid. I twist the braid into a little pigtail and then solder to it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.