• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube SE amplifier with 6P3S (russian tube)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• amplif gata.jpg
    amplif gata.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 4,722
Very nice! I like it! The work appears very professional. From the front it looks like a solid state amplifier from the '80s. How very clever. Do you have any impressions of the switching power supply? There is much talk of them, but most people shy away from actually building that kind of supply.

Ty_Bower said:
Very nice! I like it! The work appears very professional. From the front it looks like a solid state amplifier from the '80s. How very clever. Do you have any impressions of the switching power supply? There is much talk of them, but most people shy away from actually building that kind of supply.
If the smps is well build and constructed there will be no difference between classic transformer and smps for power source .
I assure you that all people who have listened for this amplifier hear no difference about the sound (I have also the same amplifier duplicated with transformer in the power source so A/B listen easy to implement !)

quadtech said:
Very nice.
If you consider a group buy for the SMPS (220V mains), do count
me in.
Are the volume control/input selection PCBs single sided?
Do post the schematic/board layouts if possible.

Prasad
It is hard with group buy , nevertheless if I will some time do such I will count you in !
The volume/selection control are my project and posted on an electronic forum from my country (if you are interested I can give you the link , but you must use the google translate as all info are in romanian language ) .
Now it has double layer pcb for which we have made a group buy on that forum after I released the version 1.0 of this project.
I have in mind to do a thread also on diyaudio for this project in the near future.
For those who want to do by herself the smps here are the bom in txt format (also in romania language ) for those who do not manage to figure what is what , i will deliver a translated to English version of this txt .

Attachments

• lista piese.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 675
Dear friend!
Very nice ampl., but for SRPP - 6N2P U=280 v is very low. Ther is
apr. 100 - 120 v per triod and this is no good condition. Ua must be apr. 200-220 v, and You must use PS 380-400 v./For 6P3S this is good condition/.
Or use double triod 6N1P or 6N23P whith 280 v.
If You have not, I can send You free!

azazello said:
Dear friend!
Very nice ampl., but for SRPP - 6N2P U=280 v is very low. Ther is
apr. 100 - 120 v per triod and this is no good condition. Ua must be apr. 200-220 v, and You must use PS 380-400 v./For 6P3S this is good condition/.
Or use double triod 6N1P or 6N23P whit 280 v.
Thanks for your info but how I say : the theory is one and the practical is another kind .
If you do this circuit (as in many build by me with this tube ) you will see that the tube is working perfectly and I see from the original datasheet that indeed 6n2p work perfectly with 80 ...90V on anode !
This are the NOS 1966 tube .
Do not trust me on that , build this circuit .
We will discus further after that .
And not ! For 6P3S maximal use for me is 300V !!!!
The amplif in my avatar is with 6P3S PP and also with anodic at 280V look here :
http://i32.tinypic.com/25utg9d.jpg
And no : this tube sound horrible over 300V !
But this is my personal opinion.

Thanks for your info but how I say : the theory is one and the practical is another kind .

Wow, that is not at all true?!?!?!?!

In practice, it might be that it works well enough. But if calculated values tell you differently, and sims tell you differently... than it necessarily mean that you are wrong. You sound just like the various local "gurus" who pretend to know it all. Sorry, but that is how I see it.

If the smps is well build and constructed there will be no difference between classic transformer and smps for power source . I assure you that all people who have listened for this amplifier hear no difference about the sound (I have also the same amplifier duplicated with transformer in the power source so A/B listen easy to implement !)

Wow, I can imagine the sound of that... just like what I wrote above -- maybe it's good enough for you, your system, your room, your source... but it will NEVER be good enough for comparison with a good standard transformer, particularly with a good old tube rectifier.

Regards,
Alex

Alex Kitic said:

In practice, it might be that it works well enough. But if calculated values tell you differently, and sims tell you differently... than it necessarily mean that you are wrong. You sound just like the various local "gurus" who pretend to know it all. Sorry, but that is how I see it.

Wow, I can imagine the sound of that... just like what I wrote above -- maybe it's good enough for you, your system, your room, your source... but it will NEVER be good enough for comparison with a good standard transformer, particularly with a good old tube rectifier.

Regards,
Alex

I think you misunderstand me !

Never say or mention something about being a tube guru .
(Never say that I have people following me ..)
So : if you have something about this build please ask .
OK ?

Alex Kitic said:

Regards,
Alex

This tend to be a flame and I say only this : we cannot meet " face a face " , nor to listen or to see this build ....

But to quote an old friend "We never listen amplifier with oscilloscope "!
And to quote another friend : " Even on oscilloscope look perfect , you never know an amplifier till you listen the amplifier, as our ears are the supreme judge "!

danzup said:

It is hard with group buy , nevertheless if I will some time do such I will count you in !
The volume/selection control are my project and posted on an electronic forum from my country (if you are interested I can give you the link , but you must use the google translate as all info are in romanian language ) .
Now it has double layer pcb for which we have made a group buy on that forum after I released the version 1.0 of this project.
I have in mind to do a thread also on diyaudio for this project in the near future.
For those who want to do by herself the smps here are the bom in txt format (also in romania language ) for those who do not manage to figure what is what , i will deliver a translated to English version of this txt .

I would also be very interested in a smps group buy, I'm quite interested in giving them a go. Where did you get it/the design from?

psychocow21 said:

I would also be very interested in a smps group buy, I'm quite interested in giving them a go. Where did you get it/the design from?

The schematics are from the data sheet of the SG3525 and is for no matter different from the schematics that are found on internet .
The only different thing is the presence of high voltage secondary on transformer for the anodic power source .
It have tested in 3 different unit and work like charm !
I think we can keep in touch for a project for this smps .

And for the others i will post a translated link of really guru (they are old in electronics and audio field ) who have listen to this amplifier at my home :
http://translate.google.ro/translat...&t=39519&start=45&sl=ro&tl=en&history_state0=
Scroll down till the last 2 men impression who are here in romania 2 people very credible when we talk about ...

For volume and source selection used in this amplifier click on
http://www.vicol-audio.ro/
then click products and there is a link named : DanZup R-2R volum controller .
Or a detailed one here :
http://translate.google.com/transla...php?f=180&t=41839&sl=ro&tl=en&history_state0=

I intend to do in a month or two a smps group buy for pcb and help provided for all who want to build a smps for tube amplifier.

That sounds excellent. PM me when you figure out prices etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.