simple se and edcor gxse output transf question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2009, 01:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default simple se and edcor gxse output transf question

So close.....
I am down to wiring my transformers up.
But on Edcors transformers they are labelled Plate 1 & 5 as Plate and B+ respectively. On George's site is the B+ the red wire in in diagram?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 5th August 2009, 02:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Pin 5 is the B+ terminal and goes where the red wire goes.
Pin 3 is the UL tap and is the light blue wire in the diagram.
Pin 1 is the plate lead and is equivalent to the dark blue wire.
Old 5th August 2009, 03:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

pforeman

Let me know how this goes for you. I sold off my great big Hammond OPT's in exchange for GXSE10-8-5K and a pair of big toroidal PP transformers for future project. I'll be wiring these up as soon as I find my hookup wire.
Old 25th August 2009, 04:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ok. I'll follow up on this. I've had the little GXSE's wired up for about two weeks now. It's impressive that the KT88's used cost more than these transformers. Compared to the Hammond 1628SEA's the GXSE10-8-5k's high frequencies have a stronger presence while the thick window rattling bass is no longer there. Not a big deal since I'm using small bookshelf speakers now (WAF).

With the GXSE's I would strongly suggest using feedback. Sound quality improved noticeably with it. I also prefer ultralinear over triode, where the bookshelf speakers aren't real efficient. Sounded good either way.

The GXSE's are a great bang for the buck, but I'd recommend the CXSE's if you can afford it. I'm not a Hammond fan, but I'll stop there.
Old 25th August 2009, 04:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'll second the comments made by whitelabrat. I bought a pair of GXSE15-6-2.5K for a 6B4G amplifier. My feelings about them are pretty much exactly the same. Overall, perfectly fine sounding output transformers. A little shy on the bottom end. Unbeatable for the price ($60 for the pair). If money and space is no concern, certainly spring for something bigger. Otherwise you can't go wrong with these Edcors.
Old 25th August 2009, 10:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I actually just realized I had a pair of these. I will try them out soon in my simple se.
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

whitelabrat: They sound fantastic. Compared to my Moscode amplifier driving my acoustats with vandersteen amplifier via sota star turntable and audible illusions preamp, this tiny watt amp coupled with audio nirvana 10 inch in open baffle with a plate amp driving H frame open baffle sounds more dynamic, and open.
When I have my acoustats going near 100 dB peaks, I get a little nervous! my hand always ready to decrease the volume.
With these guys it starts to get a little distorted at this volume, but it just sounds great.
Course I believe that at that volume you cant really judge the real qualities of a fine stereo. At much more modest volumes this combination is very nice indeed.]
I took the combination to my brothers house, and now am making three more amps for friends and relatives. When I switched to "my stereo" two people let out a gasp and said "oh my"!
Good luck with your amp(s) Due to the time delay, I bet their done by now
Paul
Old 2nd November 2009, 07:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

My "Shrine" black cube 1625 SE amp is currently using the 5k GXSE transformers - they're the largest I could wedge into the 6" case. No one has complained about the sound so far. Lower base extension will wait until I can get my sub operational...

Hide this!Advertise here!