Tubelab Simple SE - Transformer Assistance - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2009, 03:45 PM   #11
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
The XPWR059 would be a suitable power transformer, if you wanted to go with Edcor. It has a 120/240 primary and its ratings are:

375-0-375 @ 175mA
6.3V @ 6A
5V @ 3A

It's a bit overkill on the heaters, but not by much. You could run a 5U4 rectifier if you wanted. The B+ voltage is on the high side and the current is a little less than mine. Would be good for EL34s and 6L6 types. Just make sure you spring for 500V capacitors.

The one I have on mine is the XPWR035:

370-0-370 @ 200mA
6.3 VCT @ 5A
5V @ 2A

If you really wanted the extra capacity for B+, you could just custom-order what you need. Just give them the model number as a starting point and then give the deltas.

I've been remodeling in the basement and so the SSE is seeing a lot of use. It's a great amp and I have to keep it turned way down so that the rest of the house isn't going thump-thump all night.

Russ
Old 5th August 2009, 06:19 PM   #12
JeroenR is offline JeroenR  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisR1983
Thanks guys - some really useful information. I searched regarding Welbourne Labs. I wont be ordering my chassis from those guys then!!

Does anyone else know of a supplier that sells wooden enclosures that will ship to the UK?

Thanks

Chris

Try http://www.ae-europe.nl/aanbieding_behuizingen.htm ...

They also make transformers. I ordered my TubelabSE transformer from them...

Jeroen
Old 5th August 2009, 06:47 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks Russ.

All helpful stuff! There's a lot of reading to be done and I'll get my head around it eventually.

Edcor seem to be a popular choice on here so I'll definately go with something by them.

Still having issues with the chassis though...

Thanks

Chris
Old 5th August 2009, 08:29 PM   #14
dubdub is offline dubdub  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisR1983
Thanks Russ.

All helpful stuff! There's a lot of reading to be done and I'll get my head around it eventually.

Edcor seem to be a popular choice on here so I'll definately go with something by them.

Still having issues with the chassis though...

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

for the chassis for my simple SE project I used Pesante 300m from HiFi 2000, better quality than Hammond alu/or steel and has a very nice face plate too.

http://www.modu.it/pesante.html

But if it is a wooden chassis your after then try VT4C located in Hong Kong? While I never bought from him because I considered his postage costs to be too high for my needs- it may be worth it if you buy other items too like transformers (or even a choke)

http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/mai..._id=2&hit_cat=

I have not heard anything bad about him (Chung?) and he responds to quote requests promptly.

Good Luck...and oh don't scratch that chassis!!
Old 6th August 2009, 08:44 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default xformers...

From what I see at their site Electra Print ships internationally.... you may want to check out using theirs.... http://www.electra-print.com/contact.php#ordering. Limiting to a single output impedance option betters performance and lowers price, worth looking into, That is what I have in my 45 amp. They sound amazing. Make sure to specify correct I limit for the trannies.

you may want to talk to this guy for chasis.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...347wt_1167....

I must note that though I have dealt with and will again with Electra Print I have not with the chasis fella. But I am considering it.

As far as speaker sensitivity. earlier this year I setup a system with my Audio Electronics SE1 with 2a3 tubes in the (fairly large) living room , driving Sonus Faber 87dB speakers. It gets plenty of loud before hitting the distortion compression zone.
Old 7th August 2009, 03:25 PM   #16
diecast is offline diecast  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I can endorse EletraPrint - Jack Elliano is a good guy. Shipping to UK may be cheaper than you think - two custom OPTs for my SSE fitted in a single Flat Rate Box for US39 a little while ago. Takes PayPal.

For the chassis, once I worked out the layout, I got a 4mm anodised aluminium plate machined by:
http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/
They provide the layout software. Pricing is not too expensive and the finish is excellent. I mounted it on a wooden base (four sides to make a sort of open ended frame) and added an aluminium angle under the transformers to prevent sag.
Old 7th August 2009, 05:41 PM   #17
waam68 is offline waam68  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Philip at Bluebell has reasonably priced Hammond chassis...the steel are pre painted in grey or black & work well.

http://www.bluebellaudio.com/

Mike
Old 7th August 2009, 07:08 PM   #18
diecast is offline diecast  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Seconded. Bluebell is mostly aimed at guitar amp stuff but is an excellent source of all things Hammond, including the 374BX (where I got mine) and some v nice hardware, switches etc (ditto).

Hide this!Advertise here!