• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

CRC Filter ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have been experimenting with R value in CRC filter in my tube preamp. What I discovered that lower R values sound better to me than higher, although lower R has higher ripple.

Finally I settled on 220uF - 20 Ohm - 470uF. This filter hums a little, but I must put my ear right next to the speaker to hear it, so it is very quiet anyway.

With lower R in CRC the soundstage is much bigger, sound seems to be faster, better bass, better details, instruments are more separate from their self. Why is that? I thought that better ripple rejection the better sound?

what is the R of the transformer and wiring feeding the CRC?
You actually have an RCRC filter.
If you try adding a little extra R before the first C you may hear something else.
Even better, may be to replace part of the R with an air cored inductor (L+R). Adjust the fixed R values to give the desired (same) B+.

Do ensure that B+ is the same in all the implementations when making your sound quality assessments.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.