• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help me to think of name for a tube amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am making a tube amplifier (push-pul 34W). I noticed that DIYers usually name their amplifiers, for instace: Maestro Grosso, Sound Angel, Darling, Fender, SweetAmp...

So I want you to help me with the name for the project. It can be a phrase or a single word, or a short sentence. Several word about amlifier. It will be big and heavy (25"X 30" or 70X76cm) stainless steel chasis and wooden case. Its almost finished, but I want to print its name on stainless chasis with laser.

I am asking you to help me to think of nice name because you are native speakers of english and you know much more words than I.

So here are some ideas of mine:
sound gear
melody maker
stainless sound

P.S. I took output transformers from Fortissimo amplifier.
Fortissimo means "in loud voice"

4/34 PP

The english motor industry in the 1950's had a quaint habit of titling their vehicles by the number of cylinders followed by the rated horsepower, hence models such as the Wolseley 4/44.

The reality of the figures was entirely debatable, especially the number of cylinders - the truth of the Wolseley was closer to 3.25/15, but you get the drift.

And so, the "4/34 PP" which uses four output tubes to acheive 34 watts

Fortissimo Magnus - I just finished reading Colleen McCullough's "Fortune's Favorites", and I was amused at Pompey's insistence on being called Magnus... For that matter, you could call it "Baby Butcher" (you'd have to have read the book or be a student of Roman history to get the reference), but I like the first name better, anyway.

Since I design big and powerful amps I chose heavy weight titles, in this example "Viceroy"; illustrative of power & quality. The name may seem old but one does come across other amp trade names such as "Baron" or other clone names still used.

Entirely ones own taste. When other people examine your wares, an appropriate name can indicate prowess.

A glance at an old 1950's Wireless World mag will show exactly how important it was. Then it was all peer- pressure sales.

richy

Attachments

• viceroy 001.jpg
    viceroy 001.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 303
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.