• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

All DHT Phono Stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Golden ones on a Steve Bench, almost same like Sheldon's circuit.

Bench.jpg

Thanks sheldon :) I will build the phono stage like your schematic but
With Rod Coleman filament units and the Salas sshv2 units.
Thomas makes very nice amps but with a different price tag then this project.
He recommended the use of the 10Y driver for my 45 amp , the sound of the amp is amazing:D

The phono amp is playing now for a couple of hours and the sound is very nice:D
No microfonics but only a small hum, that's likely because there is no housing for screening.
The sound stage is deep with good dynamics

Attachments

• phono 3a5 forum.jpg
    phono 3a5 forum.jpg
    770.9 KB · Views: 454
  • forum set.jpg
    forum set.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 432
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Mount the supplies in one box and the phono stage itself in another and it will be absolutely silent I'd wager.. Do locate the Coleman CCS in the box with the phono stage, the SSHV2 could go in either as long as the DC feeding it is quiet. I use an SSHV2 in my dac where it is located in the dac chassis rather than the psu chassis and it works well.

Mount the supplies in one box and the phono stage itself in another and it will be absolutely silent I'd wager.. Do locate the Coleman CCS in the box with the phono stage, the SSHV2 could go in either as long as the DC feeding it is quiet. I use an SSHV2 in my dac where it is located in the dac chassis rather than the psu chassis and it works well.

That was my experience. The HV shunt supplies and filament regulators are in the amp chassis. The raw supplies (transformer and LC/RC filters) in a separate chassis. Care taken with star grounds. No hum.

Sheldon

The phono amp is playing now for a couple of hours and the sound is very nice:D
No microfonics but only a small hum, that's likely because there is no housing for screening.
The sound stage is deep with good dynamics

Hi Martin,
Congrats, it looks superb. What phono preamp did you have before and what differences did you notice in sound? What is your final stage prior to the 4P1L? Is a gyrator one or a cathode follower?

I second the two split chassis for this one.

A great project to get embarked on (oh no another one!)

Cheers
Ale

Hello Ale ;)

My other phono amp is the Phono Dude ,this design is well known in de Dutch diy scene. The 3a5 phono amp is better in details and a deeper and wider sound stage.
At the moment the last stage of the 3A5 phono is resistor loaded, but I will
try the mu stage:D
I have used the K40y couple caps and a 0,47uf vitamin Q at the output , first I will let the amp play for a week or so to settle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.