All DHT Phono Stage - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2013, 03:12 AM   #31
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Mount the supplies in one box and the phono stage itself in another and it will be absolutely silent I'd wager.. Do locate the Coleman CCS in the box with the phono stage, the SSHV2 could go in either as long as the DC feeding it is quiet. I use an SSHV2 in my dac where it is located in the dac chassis rather than the psu chassis and it works well.
That was my experience. The HV shunt supplies and filament regulators are in the amp chassis. The raw supplies (transformer and LC/RC filters) in a separate chassis. Care taken with star grounds. No hum.

Sheldon
Old 1st April 2013, 06:37 PM   #32
mogliaa is offline mogliaa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brommermartin View Post
The phono amp is playing now for a couple of hours and the sound is very nice
No microfonics but only a small hum, that's likely because there is no housing for screening.
The sound stage is deep with good dynamics
Hi Martin,
Congrats, it looks superb. What phono preamp did you have before and what differences did you notice in sound? What is your final stage prior to the 4P1L? Is a gyrator one or a cathode follower?

I second the two split chassis for this one.

A great project to get embarked on (oh no another one!)

Cheers
Ale
Old 2nd April 2013, 06:24 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hello Ale

My other phono amp is the Phono Dude ,this design is well known in de Dutch diy scene. The 3a5 phono amp is better in details and a deeper and wider sound stage.
At the moment the last stage of the 3A5 phono is resistor loaded, but I will
try the mu stage
I have used the K40y couple caps and a 0,47uf vitamin Q at the output , first I will let the amp play for a week or so to settle.

Hide this!Advertise here!