simple se ground to speaker wire? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2009, 10:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default simple se ground to speaker wire?

Just about ready to finish the box. Not a metal case.
If I read Georges site correctly, when I'm hooking up the grounds, I also ground each speaker connector, either black or red. So am I connecting my speaker wire to the ground? Somehow this doesn't sound correct.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 26th July 2009, 01:36 AM   #2
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: simple se ground to speaker wire?

Quote:
Originally posted by pforeman
Just about ready to finish the box. Not a metal case.
If I read Georges site correctly, when I'm hooking up the grounds, I also ground each speaker connector, either black or red. So am I connecting my speaker wire to the ground? Somehow this doesn't sound correct.
Thanks,
Paul
With a amp that uses no feedback from the output of the transformer, grounding one side of the output is not strictly necessary. The output can be left floating. Grounding one side or the other of the output does provide protection against an internal failure of the primary/secondary insulation, and some recommend grounding for that reason.

Technically, it doesn't matter which side you ground, as it doesn't affect the phase or output. However, in an amp using feedback, which side is grounded does matter, as the phase of the feedback must be correct. Just for consistency's sake, it's best to always use the black connector for the negative pole, and ground it.

Sheldon
Old 26th July 2009, 05:24 AM   #3
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Just to add to that, if you are using cathode feedback on the Simple SE, you may have to swap the secondary wires on the OPT. The feedback is supposed to be negative, so you actually need to connect the "positive" side of the secondary to the cathode to get negative feedback. You end up with the speaker + on the black wire of the secondary.
Old 27th July 2009, 01:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your help.
Someone else in a different thread also gave this advice about cathode feedback and switching the secondary outputs.
If I follow Georges diagrams on wiring the switch, will it switch the outputs, or do I have to manually do it when I want to switch in or out cathode feedback?
Thanks again,
Paul
Old 27th July 2009, 02:13 PM   #5
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
His diagrams make the swap, but read the accompanying text as well for caveats.

Hide this!Advertise here!