• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help with my Transformer - vibrating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

Something strange is happening with my psu:bawling:

Just stoppped working and blew the fuse on the primary.

I disconnected the psu, replaced the fuse, and placed a light bulb between the connections on the secondary.

Light bulb lit fine.

Now I replaced the rectifier, checked all connections, and then re-attached and powered up. The tranny shakes like a earthquake!! Immediately switched it off, checked everything and tried again. again the same vibration and no B+ voltage.

What's going on?

Had a good night sleep and checked everything in the morning. seems to be my tube power supply.

Tried a new SS power supply and everything works fine.:D

Very strange, checked everything visually on Bas's psu and everything looks undamaged. Have to do some probing.

Cheers

A shorted diode creating half wave seems a possible cause.
On the otherhand; some years ago I came across a sim problem to find a 110V transformer wired for a 230V supply. Over voltage leading to core-saturation can also cause sim noises. Check primary wiring config.

richy

Although you may have found the fault; there may be an underlying reason behind this: It may repeat.
Is surge current (input inrush) into cap input filter too high ?
Too high reverse peak volts for diode? (Vrrm ratings)
Mechanically busted.

An anti surge fuse used in primary ?

richy

I've been experimenting with various designs of circuitry. First testing with psu2 but this is just approx I know.

I'm suspecting it was the 6080 I was testing. bought a load of new tubes last week and was testing a lot of them. Think I overloaded it with the 6080.

I need to get a new tranny built to run the heavy current 6080's for a future project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.