• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Wavebourn Tower-III High-end hybrid amp

Enjoy. Since it is public domain already... :)

Tower-III.gif

ikoflexer said:
Very nice, thank you for sharing Anatoliy.

You are welcome!
Triodes loaded on gyrators, source follower loaded on counter-modulated CCS. about 80W of idle power dissipation, 160W for stereo. Minimal load impedance is 8 Ohm, so 16 Ohm high efficiency speakers will be happy. Tower-II dissipated 1.5 KW for 2x200W output power, so this one is a summertime version.

ikoflexer said:
Yes, I like the idea of gyrator load. Any first impressions sound wise?

This version exists on a paper only. The previous one I used during 2006 winter. The sound was the best I ever heard, though it worked also instead of a fireplace (1.5 KW dissipation). It caused subconscious reactions of listeners on sounds, I myself once was scared by a running water, other people were scared by a roaring lion. Father in law insisted that it was a real piano playing in our house. And so on.
That means, subconscious mind believed in reality of sounds.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Wavebourn said:

This version exists on a paper only. The previous one I used during 2006 winter. The sound was the best I ever heard, though it worked also instead of a fireplace (1.5 KW dissipation). It caused subconscious reactions of listeners on sounds, I myself once was scared by a running water, other people were scared by a roaring lion. Father in law insisted that it was a real piano playing in our house. And so on.
That means, subconscious mind believed in reality of sounds.

That sounds impressive. Is that in the public domain as well? Wouldn't mind checking out the schematic if it is. This year we've got a very cold summer here, you know :D

ikoflexer said:

That sounds impressive. Is that in the public domain as well? Wouldn't mind checking out the schematic if it is. This year we've got a very cold summer here, you know :D

No, Tower-II is not in public domain, but schematic is very similar. I used 8AL9 tube there, but loaded on CCS only instead of gyrators. It uses bipolar power, so DC stability was made by a feedback by DC with direct coupling between stages (through a voltage shift), also an output stage there is a bit more complex, with a degraded emitter follower in parallel with a source follower, and with one more source follower on top for bootstrapping (feed-forward, as well) to linearize in terms of dependence of transconductance and capacitances on drain-source voltage. However, it spends more power, but linearizes additionally without adding of higher order distortions.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Wavebourn said:

The previous one I used during 2006 winter. The sound was the best I ever heard, though it worked also instead of a fireplace (1.5 KW dissipation).

Hi Anatoliy

I would .love to have one of those as a kit or ready built, how do I order?
I don’t worry about the heat, its cold here in the wintertime.

BTW: you should have some price and ordering info on your website.

Cheers
S

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Wavebourn said:
The question is, do you want a full range 2 channel class A 2x200,
or class A 2x100 above 300 Hz plus class A+C 2X200 below 300Hz for woofers?
Is it 240V in your outlet, 6A max?
Are you comfortable with lead containing solder?

Anatoliy

Hi A

I’m looking at full range.
I’ll use another amp on the woofers on one of the sets, but the x-over is about 100Hz.

220V 10A. (If I need more A, no problem)

Lead is no problem.

Cheers
S

You will need 3 toroids with 50-0-50V, 500VA each, and 3 filter reactors Triad C-59U. The rest I will ship assembled, but I will need from you dimensions of your transformers to prepare place for them in the tower.

By the way, do you know Cobra2, Arne? I still keep his tube transformers. He used to have some sneaky way to ship.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Wavebourn said:
You will need 3 toroids with 50-0-50V, 500VA each, and 3 filter reactors Triad C-59U. The rest I will ship assembled, but I will need from you dimensions of your transformers to prepare place for them in the tower.

Ok
Email me the details and price, I’ll arrange the transport.

No I don't know Arne (I think).
BTW: He lives in Stavanger, I'm in Bergen, not far away.

Cheers

Dear members of DIY community;
I was not prepared to such popularity of my humble design because "Hybrid" word was spoiled by poor amps with tube stages with high output resistance loaded on class AB complementary follower that could not sound nice, of course.
No kits are available, I have to catch up fast, but please expect at least 2 months lead time. Orders will be completed on FIFO basis.

Anatoliy