• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido pre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just wanted to share my enthusiasm with my recently built Aikido pre. This is an absolutely amazing design. It transformed my system. And I thought I had a pretty good system...
I'm speechless. It's so revealing that I had to reconfigure my subwoofer settings. I've used all of John's boards for this pre. The cap switching is brilliant. And the RTI caps are excellent. Today I was listening to the last movement of Beethoven's 9th by Karajan (Karajan Gold - DG) and I never heard so much information from that recording before. I love the performance but I never felt that recording to be great. Well, it doesn't mater anymore because it sounded wonderful.
I'm so addicted that I ordered an octal kit to use with some 12SN7's I've been collecting from e-bay.
I'm having the front panel printed. Nobody understand the 5 knobs in the front.
Anyway, here are some pictures of a very happy builder.

here's one:

Attachments

• aikido-3.jpg
    aikido-3.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 638
Brit01 said:
Nice work. Congrats.

Is that a SS power amp below?
What tubes did you roll? What currents and B+ did you configure them with?

Hi,

The box below s my DAC. My amp is a class-D UcD400 from Hypex. Good stuff!
I just finished an octal board a few days, B+ is 300V and current is whatever John recommends for the 6/12SN7. I'm using 12SN7's I collected from e-ebay. This circuit doesn't seem supper sensitive to tube differences. It always sounds good. I know have RCA 12SN7. But I have a bunch of others to try...

The previous board was the 5687 with 6CG7. B+ was 240V.

In my enthusiasm last week I managed to blow one of my ribbon tweeters. Already replaced.

Here's a picture of the new board.

Attachments

• img_3806.jpg
    img_3806.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 320
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.