• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Fixed bias: Pots near supply or tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it preferred practice to set up a bank of pots next to the bias supply caps and run flying leads at the adjusted bias voltage over to the output tubes, or do you run leads carrying the full voltage of the bias supply from the supply across to near the output tubes and have the pot as close as possible to the tube socket?

Technically speaking, it makes little difference where the pot is located. But personally I believe in keeping signal wiring as direct as practical (not possible) to reduce extraneous pickup if nothing else. Therefore, I plan my layouts with the bias pots reasonably near the output tubes since they are connected to the grid(s), even if through a resistor.

Victor

DrewP said:
Having the pots local to the tube and the bias test points would certainly make it more intuitive for the idiot adjusting the bias current (namely me).

Why not make them more inaccessible ? I make adjustments through the top chassis near the o/p tubes (marked red felt in pic). There are advantages in having presets/pots fairly close to the output stage; i.e less HF pickup.
Note, some push-pull amps do rely on a symmetrical drive layout for optimum HF response and long wiring can provoke instability. This is where I find 6550 circuits and perform better than KT88 at the higher audio frequencies as the 6550 requires a lower impedance driver.
I use 10Turn cermet presets which are very reliable and can take heat. Once adjusted for correct Iquies there should be no reason to tweak.
If you are continually tweaking then something in the circuit isn't correct. Either the tubes and/or the neg bias rail versus B+ are running wild or there is circuit instability.

...Once I came across a rocker who was trying to set o/p stage bias currents by running hard music through the amp:- one learns the hard way.

richy

Attachments

• preset view.jpg
    preset view.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 274
I often use this configuration for my parallel 6550 power stages: don't copy it value for value. It requires cast iron driver stages: the 68K+ preset res loading on output is quite high and conventional stages will run into distortion.
The most important component is the 100K across the wiper to neggy in case if wiper goes open it will save the tube.

richy

Attachments

• neg bias example red.jpg
    neg bias example red.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 262
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
Best to have the bias adjustments near the tubes, IMHO. One end of the bias adjustment network normally goes to ground anyway, and this can be done close to the tube. The only potentially long lead will be that going to the bias neg. supply, and you can decouple that to ground with a suitable cap near to the tube as well if it helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.