• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Oh, those 12AU7s again...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, let's try this: You have a drum machine/sequencer/software/whatever and you want to make the drums sound a little less synthetic. You don't want to have to buy a whole analog tape machine to track them onto tape and then back into computer files.

So you figure, if what I want to do is mess up the sound a little bit in a tubelike way, why not build a row of 12AU7 stages and run the drum tracks through them?

Comments, criticisms, childish insults?

B

Bamalama said:
...what I want to do is mess up the sound a little bit in a tubelike way...

That's what a tenth octave graphic equalizer is for. (I know, not what you want to read.) Just adding tubes per se' probably won't give you what you're after. I'm not totally sure what that is either, but think I have an idea. Altering the transfer function by filtering might. This could be as simple as a cheap 1:1 transformer. A basic R/C or L/C network. How about a wa-wa pedal? :whacko: (Just kidding...?)

Cascading several unity gain stages (in total) with perhaps some feedback and capacitive filtering would be an interesting experiment. Why don't you try it and let us know how it goes.

This is just conjecture on my part submitted for it's discussion value only.

After having several different tube and solid state components in my system, I postulate that it is the tube output stage and speaker interaction that gives the "Tube Sound" more than any solid state or or tube components upstream.

Stated differently, the tube, transformer, and speaker transfer function MAY be beyond replication in a simpler manner. No other circuitry other than possibly DSP could simulate the "Tube Sound"

Hmm.

Adding transformers seems like a good idea, but this isn't going to be an expensive project and the few cheap transformers I've had experience with didn't have a very attractive sound...

The idea of the 12AU7 of course is that it is held to be one of the funkier sounding tubes, but funky in a way that might be just right for this application...

I'm not thinking series but rather two tubes (four sections) simultaneously processing four tracks.

B

dshortt9 said:
This is just conjecture on my part submitted for it's discussion value only.

After having several different tube and solid state components in my system, I postulate that it is the tube output stage and speaker interaction that gives the "Tube Sound" more than any solid state or or tube components upstream.

Stated differently, the tube, transformer, and speaker transfer function MAY be beyond replication in a simpler manner. No other circuitry other than possibly DSP could simulate the "Tube Sound"

I fully agree. It's the interaction between the output iron and the speaker that gives the "tube sound."

Hi -

That may possibly do it. You probably want to avoid having AC ripple voltage appear under load when implementing the 'soft' characteristic, of course. I have a cap modded Dynaco Stereo 70. When I started increasing the first supply filter cap value, it definitely became more 'neutral', but I decided I wanted to keep some of its original dynamic character, so wound up only doubling the value. Different story with my OTL, btw - that has a total of 40,000 uF on the output supply rails.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.