• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Big lot of tubes purchased this morning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I just bought a whole box of tubes in original boxes. Picked up from an old repair shop that closed down.

6 x GE 6SL7GT USA
6 X GE 12AV7 USA
3 X GE 6080 USA
1 X SYLVANIA 6080 USA
1 X K-R 6080 USA
1 X GE 6L6G (beautiful tube)
4 X RCA 12AU7/ECC82 USA
2 X RCA 5963 USA
2 X GE 6FQ7/6CG7 USA
2 X RCA 6X5GT USA
1 X GE 6X5GT USA
2 X GE 5Y3GT USA

He had a load more but it was all I wanted to spend for now.

Got them cheap (130 USD) as they were untested. But all were untouched in original boxes.

Going to have some fun with these!
:D

Mind you my other half thought I needed my head examining!

What are your opinions on these tubes? Good deal?

6080's for an OTL:D

Just noticed he had Sylvania 6C4 x 3. Should I pick these up?

Wow! Nice find you have there!

The GE 6080 is the military version of the 6AS7G, there are BOATLOADS of those around thanks to US Military ordering procedures. ;)

Pete Millet used the 6080 in a couple of his projects, the HA-1 and HA-2 headphone amps, the data is still available on his personal archive of the Wheatfield Audio website at http://www.pmillett.com/wheatfield.htm

For some reason, I see a lot of audiophiles thumb their nose at the 6L6 output tubes. I have never had a amp that was big enough to need those on the output stage, except for guitar amps. Which can hardly be called 'hi-fi'.

The 6SL7's should make some nice DIY project parts, though. I think the RCA 5963 is a long-life version of the 12AU7, supposedly has low microphonics.

A lot of fairly useful audio tubes on your list, for sure. Enjoy!

For some reason, I see a lot of audiophiles thumb their nose at the 6L6 output tubes. I have never had a amp that was big enough to need those on the output stage, except for guitar amps. Which can hardly be called 'hi-fi'.

As I only have one of these beauties I think I will build a SE amp for my guitar. should be fun.

I think the RCA 5963 is a long-life version of the 12AU7, supposedly has low microphonics.

I already have this 5963 running now in my CF buffer with one of the new rectifiers. Very nice indeed.

The 6SL7's should make some nice DIY project parts

Tempted to buy more of these. He has another 12 or so and many others. Though I think my other half will leave me if I spend more money on tubes!!!
They just don't get it.

Can't wait to get started on these new projects.

Pete Millet used the 6080 in a couple of his projects, the HA-1 and HA-2 headphone amps, the data is still available on his personal archive of the Wheatfield Audio website at http://www.pmillett.com/wheatfield.htm

Think I will start this one first :D Thks for the tip.
I see I can use one 6080 for both channels as it has 2 sections right?
As I have 5 tubes this is perfect as I want to keep 4 for an OTL project. I can use one of them for the headphone amp.

Looking at :
http://www.pmillett.com/tubedata/HB-3/Receiving-Type_Industrial_Tubes/6080.PDF

Shows 135 Volts for optimum usage with a plate current of max 125mA ! What would be the optimum current here? He's got 95mA on the design. (190/2000).

In the design he has 300 Volts on the plates no? (6080 has max of 250 volts!)

If I use the 2 sections this will draw almost 250 mA with both tubes?? That seems like quite a large amount which would melt my 6X5GT.
Is this correct?

Also the heater will draw 2.5 Amps?
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Shows 135 Volts for optimum usage with a plate current of max 125mA ! What would be the optimum current here? He's got 95mA on the design. (190/2000).

It really consumes a lot... there was a recent thread here by whitelabrat. You will be able to almost heat your room in a colder period :D

In the design he has 300 Volts on the plates no? (6080 has max of 250 volts!)

Since the 6080 is used as a cathode follower the tube only sees about 110V... there's 190V passing through the tube.

Yep I did overspec it for it's original use.
Maybe I'll get another one made with about 500mA.

But still have the problem of my rectifiers not being up to the job. I have 6X5GT/5Y3GT.
Probably have to make a SS bridge for now.

I have a seperate tranny for the heaters which can supply 4 Amps:D

Update: I also think I've got a 5U3 at home:D This may be better for the job.

Tempted to buy more of these. He has another 12 or so and many others. Though I think my other half will leave me if I spend more money on tubes!!!
They just don't get it.

Buy twice as many as you can use and put the rest on eBay. I just bought a bunch of tubes also. My plan is to resell half the lot at 2X the price I paid. So I keep half the tubes for zero net cost to me.

You can get great deals on a box of assorted, untested tubes. But if you test it, photograph it and you are able to say "I put this in an amp and played it, sounds good" then the tube is worth 5X more.

Just realized I have a 5U4GB :D :D :D

Now i can start with the headphone amp with 6SL7GT/6080 and 5U4GB.

I'd also like to incorporate an output to use it as a linestage also.
Any advice? A junction before the high capacitance for the jack output with a 1/2uF film cap leading to RCA jacks?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.