• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Broskie regulator oscillates

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I built this regulator from the gassware webite.Broskie reg

It oscillates at about 3MHz and 0.3v pp. I was just wondering what causes this. I know that an oscillator needs a resonant circuit and positive feedback to work. I just don't quite see how it happens here.

Here are some observations I made about it on another thread.
The load for this test is a big wire wound pot set to 12.5k (20ma. @250v). It was intended for a phonostage, the regulator that is. Interestingly, when the load is adjusted to about 12.1k, the oscillation stops. The Mosfet is an IRF BC40 (found on shop floor at work). swapped in an IRF 540 and the amplitude of the oscillation rises. I really don't' know enough to account for all this. I can only conclude that layout is critical, and that mine is not great.

I forgot to mention that I tried that as well. Some small valued caps. the amplitude of the oscillation actually went up! I don't really need this unit right now and am not just looking for a quick fix, just trying to understand how it happens in the first place :)

Hi Athos.

The original design show a 200r gate stopper. When I saw the oscillation on my scope, I upped it to 1k and moved it as close to the mosfet's gate as I could get it. The oscillation waveform only became distorted.

When you say encased in stoppers, do you mean something more Than just a resistor on the gate?

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Try a generic 470uF capacitor on the output. Something not with a low ESR.

Could you please give a few more details? What opamp are you using? You might want to try a few different opamps. When I played with various opamp based regulators I found that some did not oscillate so readily. Another thing to try is a 200pF to 10nF capacitor on the G-S pins of the mosfet. I would not use that in the long term, just temporary to troubleshoot the circuit.

as I am very rusty and maybe a bit mad........................OK ?

I think the feedback is the diode loop just to the left of the marking +295 in red.

the resistance is ESR of the wire.

and if I remember right you can move the oscillation by putting in a resistor or something.

PS..... I have been awake for more than 24 hours or so

Hi guys.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I hope pointy is getting some sleep.:) After messing around some more I still see a signal at around 1MHz. Then I notice it is still there only bigger with the power turned off! also it is pulsating. I must be looking at an AM radio station.

This is an old problem. Most constructors layouts are designed without any RF consideration. The mosfet is oscillating parasitically at will without one knowing about it and so high that most scopes won't show it. The decoy is the scope probe often stops it.
Fit small ferrite beads in both gate and source leads. I fit in both, some may find the gate is enough to dampen. Make sure they aren't touching anything else and that should keep the device quiet.
Try it !

richy

Attachments

• mosfet ferr.jpg
    mosfet ferr.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 275
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.