• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Basic choke quality/sonic benefit questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sold on the sonic benefits of power supply chokes. I would like to fully understand them in order to pick the best ones for my application.

I know lower DCR means greater energy transfer and less voltage bled off. Beyond that I don't know enough.

I've read some people like iron core, some swear by amorphous core, some like C-core.

If someone could give me a basic understanding of all these variables and their possible sonic impact I would be grateful.

Right now I'm using standard hammond which I'm sure aren't that great. There's people who will make them who are small and there's Lindahl which look bitch'n but don't know what benefits I would receive.

For power supply use, the big 4 are Inductance, DCR, Max voltage and maximum current.

Material of core is not significant, winding method, etc. Just use a good Capacitor near the load, such as a motor run.

These may be more significant if used as a plate choke, where signal is across the choke.

My 2 cents.

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.