• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audio Transformers - Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have acquired a pair of THOM and SMITH Ltd. (Sydney Australia) Audio Transformers Part No MT. 03.540.2

According to the info plate on these trannies
Primary is 7500 Ohm Impedance (510 Ohm DCR)
Secondary #1 is 70,000 Ohm Impedance (2850 Ohms DCR)
Secondary #2 is centre tapped 1100 Ohms Impedance (60 Ohms DCR).

Physical size is 70 x 65 x 50 mm

Anyone hazzard a guess as to what these trannies were originally used for?

I'm intending to use them as phase splitters. Secondary #1 to diffamp driver grids and the centre tapped 2nd secondary for a bit of feedback in the diff driver cathodes (Centre tap to a current source). Does that sound feasible to you guys?

Cheers,
Ian

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thom & Smith made radios. There's a good chance your transformer was used in one. If you really want to know more about the transformer itself I'd hook up with the vintage radio collector world.
There are a number of vintage radio sites in Oz . Here's one. Look for a guy named Steve (Stephen) Savell. He has travelled all over the country documenting radio collections and if he can't help you put a finger on it he probably knows who can.

Those impedances almost appear to be 2-way radio transformers...

70,000 ohms would be the microphone..
1100 ohms the headphones...
The primary would be switched between the anode (receive) and grid (transmit).

Just a guess from working with ancient AM TX's :confused:

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.