Gran Tenor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2009, 03:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Gran Tenor

I'm looking for the schematic of the Gran Tenor Carmen SE Kt88 for DIY .............someone knows something?

Thanks.

http://www.grantenor.cl/

Carmen - http://www.grantenor.cl/ingles/carmen_ingles.htm

Click the image to open in full size.

==============================================

Interview-Review .

English http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Spanish http://www.paritarios.cl/cultura_gran_tenor.htm

---------------------------------
Old 15th July 2009, 05:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Any idea on the schematic of great tenor. ?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th July 2009, 05:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Goodness is that ugly ...

... and it appears that Governor Palin may have written the ad copy:
Quote:
Gran Tenor Carmen Special Edition is life, joy, harmony and musical virtuosity, is the ideal amplifier for “audiófilos” specialized that privilege the quality, like also for those who please to enjoy and to meet again long hours to the day with the best thing of its favorite works without the minor I show of auditory fatigue.
If you look closely, the driver is a 6sn7 (you can see it backwards on the glass of the driver on the left). So, I am going to go out on a limb and say 6sn7 srpp driving a kt88.
Old 15th July 2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Fancy marketing speech and , err, eyecatching outer treatment around an absolutely standard schematic...
Old 15th July 2009, 11:15 PM   #5
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Agreed , probably absolutely standard schematic -like Audio Note which sells for $50.000
Old 16th July 2009, 12:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Agree, nothing new except they've gone overboard to make it look like a valuable item of furniture. Well, if they don't succeed it won't be for the want of trying.
Old 16th July 2009, 01:17 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default omg...

probably built toreside in houses with faux-doric columns at the entrance and overwrought lighting schemes including a coloured fountain in the house and chandaliers at every opportunity... Has a high WAF for the Imelda Marcos types.
Old 16th July 2009, 01:49 AM   #8
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: omg...

Quote:
Originally posted by aardvarkash10
probably built toreside in houses with faux-doric columns at the entrance and overwrought lighting schemes including a coloured fountain in the house and chandaliers at every opportunity... Has a high WAF for the Imelda Marcos types.
excuse me, just what do you mean by that?

Old 16th July 2009, 03:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

To a degree, I agree with all you gentlemen.  It much looks like a 6SN7 driving a KT88.  Its elaborate build might be thought somewhat out of keeping for such a basic (and usually suboptimum) circuit.  I would add a couple further observations:  I don't think it looks like something built in Chile, and if you look at the photos very carefully, maybe the actual fine-grain standard of detailing is not as the nominal degree of detailing would suggest.

Are you, like me, starting to get that 'China' uneasiness?

That said, we'd have to have the thing in our hands (and ears) to know.  It's easy to snipe.  I actually love the basic look; it's different, it has a character and cachet.  I bet Ray or DSav or Stuart could build a very carefully developed 6SN7-KT88triode amp that would rock my world.

So, it depends.  In answer to the original question, though, I definitely agree completely; the circuit is undoubtedly a 6SN7 driving a KT88 in some iteration.  But, who cares?

Aloha,

Poinz
Old 16th July 2009, 03:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Way fancy website.  A big marketing exercise, to be sure.

P

Hide this!Advertise here!