• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cary 845 schematics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Also, does anyone have some experience with this amplifier?

I have found something quite curious so far - There is a faint hum on the left channel. This may be due to a design flaw, or a modification by a previous owner (I am not yet sure - therefore the schematic would help a lot). The heater power transformer is separate in this amp, and is actually located directly below the left output tranny... I am about 99% sure that this causes the hum.

The hum is admittedly very minor and I am probably too much of a perfectionist... I took a LOT of care in transformer placement in my own SE amplifiers and they don't hum at all.

In any case, it would be nice to know if others have experience with this amp.

I have a pair of the bigger Cary 805B. I spoke to Dennis Had personally and he recommends using a cheater plug on the power cable to eliminate all hum.

If you'd like the service manual/schematics for the 805B, they are available oline (with a bit of searching), or ping me and I'll send you a copy.

-- jose k.

I use a balanced input on this beast - a transformer volume control (TVC). So I am very hesitant to take away the only ground it sees by using a cheater plug.

I really think the problem is with the original layout. But there appears to be no other place to put the heater transformer...

Except maybe under the HT transformer. I will see if it could fit later this evening.

BTW - I contacted Cary and they told me that they can't send me the schematic for this amplifier because it is in Dennis Had's head! :D

edit: fix typo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.