• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power Transformer 110/230V Windings Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I'm about to order custom-build toroidal transformer, and now facing choice - how to build universal 110/230V primary winding. There are 3 (not incl. 100V Japanese) standards - 110V USA, 220V Europe/Russia and 240V UK. It is possible to use:

1) 2-part 110+120V configuration (in USA only first part of primary winding will be connected), or

2) 4-part 100/120V+100/120V (in USA 2 parts of primary winding will be connected in parallel).

Which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Kevin,

I seen those bits of inaccurate information right after I posted. Especially the part about the meter! Jeez! Glad you chimed in and the link you provided!

"All AC voltages distributed to homes actually come to the buildings at 440-480 VAC. Within the meter box at every home the 440-480 VAC is broken down to 220-240 VAC and then to 110-120 VAC for use in lighting, wall plugs, and small appliances. All major appliances like electric ranges, clothes dryer, air conditioning, water heaters use the 220 VAC." :xeye:

How do they fit those big dropdown transformers inside my little meter box??? They don't, they're usually located on an utility pole. No way 480V going into homes, it's 120V-0V-120V.

Wayne

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.