• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Shipping Tube Gear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently sent a prototype tube mic pre from here in the UK to a client in the USA via DHL. The mic pre is built in a sealed die cast box and has a separate similarly constructed linear power supply. I surrounded each with about 2 inches of foam, then some polystyrene so they fitted snugly into a cardboard box.

Despite that, on arrival a tube had been shook out of its socket - OK maybe tubes should go separately - but worse, a sub-chassis that fitted into slots inside the die cast box had worked loose and pulled off some connections to its tube sockets.

Now given how I packed it, there was no way I expected a sub-chassis to work loose.; DHL must have really thrown it about to achieve that.

So my question is, what are others people's experiences of shipping tube based gear, especially internationally, and what lessons are there to be learned.

Cheers

Ian

IMHO, sounds like the problem is your mechanical design, and not shipping. As you already pointed out, the tubes should be packed separately. Also, relying on formed slots to hold a subchassis that contains heavy tube-amp-type parts simply won't do. You need to use good strong standoffs and screws. From your description, your preamp wouldn't even have survived as checked baggage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.