• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need opinions about this tube circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Three questions,

How much gain do you need?
What is the input impedance of the stage you are trying to drive?
Or what is the output impedance are you targeting?
How long a cable / how much capacitance are you driving?

12AX7 may or may not be appropriate, depending on your answers.

HTH

Doug

DougL said:
Three questions,

How much gain do you need?
What is the input impedance of the stage you are trying to drive?
Or what is the output impedance are you targeting?
How long a cable / how much capacitance are you driving?

12AX7 may or may not be appropriate, depending on your answers.

HTH

Doug

Hello Doug

I need between 40 to 50 times gain.

The input impedance of the stage I am trying to drive are arround 35k ohm.

This tube stage will be in the same case than the power amp, so the cable will be a max of 4 inch long and will be video type cable.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Hello

There is this other tube circuit, but I suspect that the resistors values are not right.

Suggestions ??

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Attachments

• 12ax7_preamp-2.gif
    12ax7_preamp-2.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 360
nigelwright7557 said:
If you look up the datasheets for 12AX7 and 12AU7 then they give examples of circuits with resistor values.

If you want advice on circuits then you need to tell us what the signal comes from and where it goes to so we can work out input and output impedances.

Hello

The signal comes from a Nos TDA1541A dac and go straight to the power amp input.

Thank

BYe

Gaetan

DougL said:
I calculated Values using Tube Cad

It looks like it would work.

This is just FYI.

Doug

Hello Doug

I have redone my circuit according to your Tube Cad values.

Can I still have a 150k (or higher value) NFB resistor, to have just a bit of NFB to reduce the distortion, ?

I presume that I need to take account of the Rin 10K resistor for the calculation of L and C in the input 20khz low pass filter ?

I include the image of the new circuit according to your Tube Cad values.

Thank very much

Bye

GAetan

Attachments

• tda1541 i-v amp 12ax7.gif
    tda1541 i-v amp 12ax7.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 278
gaetan8888 said:

Can I still have a 150k (or higher value) NFB resistor, to have just a bit of NFB to reduce the distortion, ?

150K / 200 Ohm would be like a mosquito bite of an elephant for a stage with initial gain of 30.

Speaking of "just a bit of NFB", you would reduce inaudible distortions adding audible ones such a way.
Here is the topic that explains it in details:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1874886#post1874886

Wavebourn said:

150K / 200 Ohm would be like a mosquito bite of an elephant for a stage with initial gain of 30.

Speaking of "just a bit of NFB", you would reduce inaudible distortions adding audible ones such a way.
Here is the topic that explains it in details:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1874886#post1874886

Hello Wavebourn

Do you know (Approximately) how much distortion this circuit would have without NFB ?

Thank you

Bye

Gaetan

gaetan8888 said:

Hello Wavebourn

Do you know (Approximately) how much distortion this circuit would have without NFB ?

Less that with NFB as drawn, Jerluwoo is right. Amount of distortions will depend on the signal level, you may estimate it calculating transfer function values for different input voltages from curves and a load line. Curves for 12AX7 were published many times in many places. Just google them. Measure by a ruler, put results in a table, then calculate how far they are from straight linear function.

jerluwoo said:
Unless I'm mistaken, I thought plate to cathode would be positive feedback. I also believe that the AX7 won't be happy trying to drive 35k load even as a cathode follower.

Have a look here http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/xentar/1179/theory/vasfda/vasfda.html for info on using this dac with a tube output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.