3d amp modelling (for solidworks) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2009, 07:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 3d amp modelling (for solidworks)

So I've been learning a new CAD package at work, best way to do that is spend a few hours drawing things, in order to learn how the thing works...

So as a result I modelled several tubes that might be useful for all those similarly afflicted with Solidworks

Since I'm guessing that many of the DIY audio readers are actual engineers and therefore these might be a useful share; So far I have (in increasing level of detail)

6SN7 (poor really, just for placement)
12AX7
Hot Tubes (?) 300b
RCA 6AS7G
GEC KT88
RCA 845

These are all modelled from actual dead valves that have been carefully "smashedintoathousandpieces"

If anyone wants a copy of the models, then please let me know I think you can message me so I can e-mail the zip. As I say these are for Solidworks and are also quite big files. (For instance the 845 is 14.5 mb zipped.) OTOH I can allegedly save these as ProE assemblies as well as step / IGS files

Still trawling ebay for a dead el34 , el84 and maybe a proper 6SN7 - kinda resigned to the idea of wacking a 6J5 at some point as it's my weapon of choice in the ST envelope so again expect these to turn up at some point - but maybe don't hold your breath

And to demonstrate whats possible with a bit of photo rendering (its a HECK of a lot easier than cutting metal) see the attached pic.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small amp pic.jpg (81.1 KB, 1052 views)
Old 8th July 2009, 07:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

and another...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gec kt88 assembly.jpg (50.5 KB, 973 views)
Old 8th July 2009, 07:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

and one more - pleased with this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 845 assembly.jpg (64.3 KB, 960 views)
Old 8th July 2009, 08:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Do you have also the smashed ones?
I'd rather prefer a rusty cabinet....
Be-li-si-me!
Old 8th July 2009, 08:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Very Nice!

Very very nice work! You must be learning fast!

If you use the PhotoView 360 renderer from SW, you can get the filaments to glow. (i think)

regards from Jonas
Old 8th July 2009, 10:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 3d amp modelling (for solidworks)

Quote:
Originally posted by andrew_whitham
If anyone wants a copy of the models, then please let me know I think you can message me so I can e-mail the zip. As I say these are for Solidworks and are also quite big files. (For instance the 845 is 14.5 mb zipped.) OTOH I can allegedly save these as ProE assemblies as well as step / IGS files
Those are really lovely models Andy. You're obviously no stranger to 3D CAD. I'm going to assume you're using SW2009 to create these, which is a more recent version than the one I'm using. I'd still like to get my hands on them thou. Why don't you try uploading them to an FTP or large file sharing site. I don't think email servers are going to let anything that big through.

Jeff
Old 9th July 2009, 10:58 AM   #7
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just passing by to say brilliant work!
Old 9th July 2009, 11:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Very nice - amazing detail !
Old 9th July 2009, 12:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default thanks

Thanks everyone for the kind comments

For vinylkid58 I've put them on a free account at rapidshare. I stuck everything in the one zip file as its as more hassle to download them individually because of the nature of a free download. h**p://rapidshare.com/files/253763618/Tubes.zip.html

Obviously you need to chage the "**" to "tt" Its limited to 10 downloads but I'm expecting that'll be enough. The files are in Solidworks 2009 format tho'. If you have the premium version of that then you'll only get the decals / logo's if you've activated the photoworks toolbar. Also, as Jonas points out, the photoview 360 program thats included with the '09 version can be used to render if you've got the normal version of Solidworks

Hope these are useful to someone else, I'm finding that a picture of what its going to look like is some help in laying things out.

Finally, if anyone knows how to get the getter silvering to happen I'm all ears

Cheers

Andy
Old 9th July 2009, 01:20 PM   #10
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

I posted some sketchup views of a half-made amp on another thread. I think I would like to remove them now in shame! Those models are amazing! Great work!

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!