• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

3d amp modelling (for solidworks)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've been learning a new CAD package at work, best way to do that is spend a few hours drawing things, in order to learn how the thing works...

So as a result I modelled several tubes that might be useful for all those similarly afflicted with Solidworks

Since I'm guessing that many of the DIY audio readers are actual engineers and therefore these might be a useful share; So far I have (in increasing level of detail)

6SN7 (poor really, just for placement)
12AX7
Hot Tubes (?) 300b
RCA 6AS7G
GEC KT88
RCA 845

These are all modelled from actual dead valves that have been carefully "smashedintoathousandpieces" :smash:

If anyone wants a copy of the models, then please let me know I think you can message me so I can e-mail the zip. As I say these are for Solidworks and are also quite big files. (For instance the 845 is 14.5 mb zipped.) OTOH I can allegedly save these as ProE assemblies as well as step / IGS files

Still trawling ebay for a dead el34 , el84 and maybe a proper 6SN7 - kinda resigned to the idea of wacking a 6J5 at some point as it's my weapon of choice in the ST envelope so again expect these to turn up at some point - but maybe don't hold your breath :)

And to demonstrate whats possible with a bit of photo rendering (its a HECK of a lot easier than cutting metal) see the attached pic.

Andy

Attachments

• small amp pic.jpg
    small amp pic.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,090
andrew_whitham said:
If anyone wants a copy of the models, then please let me know I think you can message me so I can e-mail the zip. As I say these are for Solidworks and are also quite big files. (For instance the 845 is 14.5 mb zipped.) OTOH I can allegedly save these as ProE assemblies as well as step / IGS files

Those are really lovely models Andy. You're obviously no stranger to 3D CAD. I'm going to assume you're using SW2009 to create these, which is a more recent version than the one I'm using. I'd still like to get my hands on them thou. Why don't you try uploading them to an FTP or large file sharing site. I don't think email servers are going to let anything that big through.

Jeff

thanks

Thanks everyone for the kind comments :D

For vinylkid58 I've put them on a free account at rapidshare. I stuck everything in the one zip file as its as more hassle to download them individually because of the nature of a free download. h**p://rapidshare.com/files/253763618/Tubes.zip.html

Obviously you need to chage the "**" to "tt" Its limited to 10 downloads but I'm expecting that'll be enough. The files are in Solidworks 2009 format tho'. If you have the premium version of that then you'll only get the decals / logo's if you've activated the photoworks toolbar. Also, as Jonas points out, the photoview 360 program thats included with the '09 version can be used to render if you've got the normal version of Solidworks

Hope these are useful to someone else, I'm finding that a picture of what its going to look like is some help in laying things out.

Finally, if anyone knows how to get the getter silvering to happen I'm all ears :)

Cheers

Andy

chrish said:
I posted some sketchup views of a half-made amp on another thread. I think I would like to remove them now in shame! Those models are amazing! Great work!

Chris

The big difference here is free vrs big bucks!

3D modeling is one area that I'm seriously deficient in - but would come in so useful if I ever wanted to build more than one kind of chassis...

It didn't SEEM to take that long...

ha now thats an interesting question

The time taken depends on the nature of the tubs and how much inclination I had to do the fiddly bits at the bottom. The 6as7 probably a day or so (ie 8 hrs) because its constructed to use a small number of parts in different positions. The 845 took ages I'd guess 20+ hours. But I'm still learning the quickest way to do things. For instance the grid on the 300b took forever to figure out initially before I realised there was a shortcut - just make an odd shaped spring.

Andy

Wow, very cool. The GEC labels are a nice touch. I'm also a SolidWorks guy from way back (1996) and I've just loaded 2009.

At the day job, there is never time to model at this detail, so these are great examples of the capabilities of SW/photoworks.

Have you considered sending your amp model to SolidWorks as an example? You never know, maybe it would end up on the box for SolidWorks 2011 or something. The "retro" edition.:D

I would be happy to donate some tubes to the cause, but I don't have any dead ones to use as donors presently, and across the pond shipping would be costly.

Thanks for sharing the files.

Ugh, apologies for being the negative Nelly but those lovely renders have some weird false perspective thing happening. The top half of the tube appears at a different angle than the bottom. Is that an artifact of SolidWorks? (The first thing that really came to mind was the nightmare those would be in POVRay.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.