3d amp modelling (for solidworks) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2009, 06:45 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much Andy.

Jeff
Old 9th July 2009, 06:59 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrish
I posted some sketchup views of a half-made amp on another thread. I think I would like to remove them now in shame! Those models are amazing! Great work!

Chris
The big difference here is free vrs big bucks!

3D modeling is one area that I'm seriously deficient in - but would come in so useful if I ever wanted to build more than one kind of chassis...
Old 9th July 2009, 07:21 PM   #13
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

That's just amazing Andy. Curious, did it take long to do a tube, after you got the hang of it?
Old 9th July 2009, 09:43 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default It didn't SEEM to take that long...

ha now thats an interesting question

The time taken depends on the nature of the tubs and how much inclination I had to do the fiddly bits at the bottom. The 6as7 probably a day or so (ie 8 hrs) because its constructed to use a small number of parts in different positions. The 845 took ages I'd guess 20+ hours. But I'm still learning the quickest way to do things. For instance the grid on the 300b took forever to figure out initially before I realised there was a shortcut - just make an odd shaped spring.

Andy
Old 10th July 2009, 02:11 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Wow, very cool. The GEC labels are a nice touch. I'm also a SolidWorks guy from way back (1996) and I've just loaded 2009.

At the day job, there is never time to model at this detail, so these are great examples of the capabilities of SW/photoworks.

Have you considered sending your amp model to SolidWorks as an example? You never know, maybe it would end up on the box for SolidWorks 2011 or something. The "retro" edition.

I would be happy to donate some tubes to the cause, but I don't have any dead ones to use as donors presently, and across the pond shipping would be costly.

Thanks for sharing the files.
Old 10th July 2009, 03:36 PM   #16
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ugh, apologies for being the negative Nelly but those lovely renders have some weird false perspective thing happening. The top half of the tube appears at a different angle than the bottom. Is that an artifact of SolidWorks? (The first thing that really came to mind was the nightmare those would be in POVRay.)
Old 10th July 2009, 03:43 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Every time I go to use Solidworks I have to call up one of the kids at Carnegie Mellon to get it figger'd out.
Old 11th July 2009, 07:03 AM   #18
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Really pretty, but I'm wondering how long it will be before one of those lovely renders ends up claiming to be a photograph on eBay!

Tell me, please. You didn't really smash a GEC KT88?
Old 11th July 2009, 08:54 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default focal length

rtf, the distortion you see in the images are related to the focal length of the virtual camera that takes the snapshot of the model. Take a photo on a tube with a wide angle lens half a meter away. Now that's what I call distortion!
Old 11th July 2009, 04:52 PM   #20
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ahh, of course. I'ld forgotten these models require a camera definition. Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!