Futterman style 6AS7 OTL with other tubes - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2009, 04:52 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

It's a Solen PPB. ASC makes very large ones too. I've got a couple 600uF's sitting in a box somewhere. I could probably get away with driving speakers with those although their dropoff would be at 33Hz at 8 ohms.
Old 17th July 2009, 05:04 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
For example I was thinking of the 6CG7 where they would be only good for a couple milliwatts of output, but let's say I had 10 tubes in parallel for one channel. That's 20 triodes in action which would bring down the output resistance, and add up to a couple of watts to the output. I didn't say it was practical, just possible.
Yes, it is possible and can be made practical if you take care of distributing the current between all tubes, this can be done by matching all tubes and by using cathode resistors for each individual tube to avoid "current hogging" i.e. where one tube takes to high current, thereby failing and thereby making other tubes take to high current and so on...

Even when individual cathode resistors are used the current for parallel connected tubes should be reduced, figures for de-rating where given for regulator tubes in data sheets, (6AS7, 6C33C) typically the current for each tube was only half when 4 or more where used in parallel.

It is my understanding that the reliability problems of most commercial OTL amplifiers are due to a combination of running tubes way above ratings or no or too low de-rating of tubes when parallel connected.
Old 17th July 2009, 06:36 PM   #33
Brit01 is offline Brit01  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's a Solen PPB. ASC makes very large ones too
Solens are a little on the pricey side. 330uF film 99 USD. That will be one expensive headphone amp.

Couldn't find much for ASC caps (found their home page). How much do they run for?
Old 17th July 2009, 06:41 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brit01
That will be one expensive headphone amp.
Find one that is at a good price point, highest C / $, and parallel a bunch of them.
Old 17th July 2009, 07:10 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Someone is selling them at $7.50 a pop on ebay. Buy two, get one free. Crazy good deal. It's the ASC GLY513. Just seach ebay for "ASC 600"
Old 17th July 2009, 11:30 PM   #36
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by Brit01

Solens are a little on the pricey side. 330uF film 99 USD. That will be one expensive headphone amp.

Couldn't find much for ASC caps (found their home page). How much do they run for?
What exactly is it you want to buid?

Do you want this amp to drive speakers or headphones?

TIA,
Old 18th July 2009, 12:08 AM   #37
Brit01 is offline Brit01  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What exactly is it you want to buid?
We did get sidetracked a little.

Initial thread was for speakers but then I asked about the 100uF film output cap as I have built a headphone amp with electrolytics.

Sorry to confuse you.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:36 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[i] PICS of the monsters are on the forum ... [/B]

Coresta

Can you tell me where on the forum pictures of your monsters can be found? I would love to see them? Any schematic available? Thx in advance
Old 22nd July 2009, 04:16 PM   #39
coresta is offline coresta  France
diyAudio Member

somewhere in the "pictures gallery " file , or here , from Wagtbtoobz, my other french id : http://retro-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13883 in french ... many pictures and schematic published Cheers
Pierre
Old 22nd July 2009, 05:04 PM   #40
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Default eze OTL too diy an its a Circ lotron,

All parts an tubes an xfourms for two monos less than $500,
this has been up on the OTL site the King of OTL put it up not me

Hide this!Advertise here!