AZ1 problem: broken metal part - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2009, 04:43 AM   #1
Richard is offline Richard  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default AZ1 problem: broken metal part

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with an AZ1 rectifier (ebay purchase) and am seeking some advice. It appears that the getter reserve and its attaching arm, has broken off during transport (pic attached). Iím told it has been tested prior to transport.

In a search noted that Tubelab had a similar problem with a 45.
Rattling Tube

I have checked the filament for continuity (which is fine) and also noted no continuity between both plates and plates and filament

Is it still possible to use this valve as long at the metal bits are not in contact with the plate? What would 'you do'?

Cheers,

Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg az1 broken getter reserve.jpg (34.1 KB, 229 views)
Old 6th July 2009, 07:14 AM   #2
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
If you can get it to rest on the bottom of the tube where it is out of the way of any electrode connections, it should work fine. Just be wary of it if you swap tubes often or move the amp around.
Old 6th July 2009, 01:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sometimes these things happen. I had the getter assembly come loose in a 6SL7. I figure it is an accident waiting to happen. There's no way to shake the loose piece down to a "safe" area. Some day it WILL short a grid to plate, and bad things are going to happen.

The tube wasn't very expensive. I've just written it off.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th July 2009, 02:23 AM   #4
Richard is offline Richard  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and advice. Since i can get the part away from the plates, I'll give it a shot.

Many thanks,

Rich
Old 8th July 2009, 07:09 AM   #5
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

I just had two similar experiences. A VR tube with exactly your problem. I fired it up in a test rig and it worked...

Next problem was some NOS Sylvania 6SN7s. One has the getter bent down so much it is about 1/2 mm from touching the top of the structure of the adjacent triode structure. I am a little wary about using it. I purchased from a reputable dealer, but figure that postage back from Australia to USA etc it was not worth complaining about. I do not have an amp that uses them (yet) to test out. Tube is in workshop a few blocks away, so no photo at the moment...

Cheers,

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!