• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help with hum small hum problem...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I helped my son build his first tube amp. It is the 807se I was have talked about. The layout is not as clean as it could be but it is not that bad either. I checked all the solder joints and wiring. The amp sounds really really good and the hum is not even audible unless I put my ear right by the speaker cone. But I don't like it. The tubes are AC heated by twisted wire, center tap is grounded. Nothing special. The only other thing to consider is I let him use a 5H choke in the power supply, should we have used a higher H value?

Thanks

let me see...

Well the amp consists of (2) 807 and (2) 6SJ7WGT. The 807's are running at 350V's and the 6SJ7's are around 300V. Current i around 120mA for both channels. The 807's each draw 50mA. I will draw up a power supply schematic right now. I will post it when done. One further note. I made him rewire the filaments will shielded wire and the hum is still there. It does not effect the sound, but I just do like it there,:)

done...

power supply we am currently using...

Attachments

• power-supply.jpg
    power-supply.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 283
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.