Has anyone Received The new Techtubes yet? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Has anyone Received The new Techtubes yet?

Just curious if anyone has ordered or received the new Blackburn Techtubes yet.

I see the Matched version is now available.
https://shop.blackburnmicrotech.com/...php?stockid=18

One thing that I found curious would be the lack of a formal announcement after all of the pre-production hype.
Old 2nd July 2009, 03:54 PM   #2
awedio is offline awedio  United States
diyAudio Member

Default The Return of Blackburn (not Mullard)

Yes!

I have four TechTube ECC813 tubes in my possession. In fact, I have been testing them in my bass guitar amp, my preamp and my phono stage. Right now I am working on a write-up with my thoughts and observations which I will post later today.

Let it suffice to say that I am very impressed thus far! They are by all means an achievement and a step forward for the world of vacuum tubes, aka valves.

I just want to be sure of what I am hearing and give an objective appraisal. Stay tuned.
Old 2nd July 2009, 03:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

GREAT!!

I want to use them In my guitar amp, but I am a bit concerned with potential vibration issues since it is a Tweed Deluxe Combo Cab rather than a Head.

I'll be watching for your review!!

Thanks
Old 2nd July 2009, 04:01 PM   #4
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

That was a quiet production release. I've been on their mailing list and never received anything about the actual availability. I just wish the ECC81 and ECC82 equivalents were also available. I could use these more than the ECC83 equivalent.

Still, anxious to hear your review of them.

Regards, KM
Old 2nd July 2009, 04:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Their e-commerce website went live very recently. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still going to do an e-mail alert, I imagine they have been very busy with the launch.

I am told that only the ECC83 equivalents are available so far - that the ECC82 versions will be out in a month or two and the ECC81 versions will have to wait until later in the year.

I too wish that they were available, my preamp uses those two types. I was able to make the E813CC Techtube work in my preamp in just the output stage, although it's designed around a ECC81. I can't wait to try the E812CC, hopefully it comes out soon.
Old 2nd July 2009, 04:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by awedio
Their e-commerce website went live very recently. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still going to do an e-mail alert, I imagine they have been very busy with the launch.

I am told that only the ECC83 equivalents are available so far - that the ECC82 versions will be out in a month or two and the ECC81 versions will have to wait until later in the year.

I too wish that they were available, my preamp uses those two types. I was able to make the E813CC Techtube work in my preamp in just the output stage, although it's designed around a ECC81. I can't wait to try the E812CC, hopefully it comes out soon.

The order online section just updated and now says out of stock.

That was a Fast sell out!
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You wouldn't happen to have any up- close pictures of their internal construction would you? On their site the lettering obscures it.
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'll try to post some pictures. Gotta finish up my workday stuff first...
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

holy wow, 40 pounds - $65 USD each! If I replaced all the 12AX7's in my blues Jr, I'd be spending almost as much as the amp cost!!!

Still I'm curious to hear the review...

oh - and I bought my Jr used, not at the ridiculous prices they charge these days...
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oldmanStrat
holy wow, 40 pounds - $65 USD each!
Part of their claim is that these new fangled tubes will last ten times what a regular tube would (or something akin to that factor). At that rate, they only cost six fifty a pop. Of course, since I can't seem to keep from swapping out tubes (or amps) all the time, I'm not sure what a ridiculously long lifetime really buys for me.

Hide this!Advertise here!