• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6922 for a Noob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I doubt the current limiter in an LM317 is a foldback design. I think the device will output max current at close to no voltage until it goes into thermal overload. That's how the LM7805's behave.

One thing that's noteworthy from the Datasheet is that the max output current depends on the voltage difference Vin-Vout. The 1.5 A is only for Vin-Vout <= 15 V. See "current limit" half way down page 5.

Also note that you need 0.1 uF from LM317 input to ground if the LM317 is more than 6" away from the filter cap. That looks to be the case in your circuit. So I'd add that cap... It's needed for stability.

You can always try using the LM317 as a reference for a pass transistor. Take a beefy power NPN like a 2N3055, TIP42, or the like and bolt it to your heatsink. Connect the output of the LM317 to the base of the transistor. Connect the collector to the filter cap (unregulated supply). The emitter is then the output of your regulator. The output voltage should be about 0.7 V (one Vbe drop) lower than the voltage of the LM317 output. You'll lose all thermal overload protection, current limiting, etc. by doing this, though. The line and load regulation sucks too, but as an experiment it could be worthwhile.

~ Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.