• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

MOSFET for power drive for low powered 845

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
I am building a low powered 845 Amp and wanted to use power drive. I read thru the old posts and found that a mosfet with minimal reverse transfer capacitance is ideally suited.

I am looking for +/- 200V supply, and found the following MOSFET -- IRF820APBF-ND from Digikey. The reverse transfer capacitance is 2.7pF. Wanted to check with guru's here if this seems like a good choice, or are there alternate suggestions.

I am attaching a jpeg of the basic amplifier circuit.

These would be mono blocks. I just got the chassis from vt4c.com, and working on a layout right now.

thanks
Sridhar Ganti

Attachments

• 845-ampwithpowerdrive.jpg
    845-ampwithpowerdrive.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 480
Salas said:
Nice Mosfet find. Is this the IRF820A but pb free? Looks ace to me for the Crss thing. Doesn't the 845 need a grid resistor of a finite upper value so not to leak back towards the CCS before A2?

I've used this part with good results: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FQ/FQPF2N80.pdf
Comes in a insulated package too.

You don't have to worry about a grid resistor there. That node is low impedance, since the FET is a source follower.

Sheldon

BTW, I had intermittent oscillations problems with a CCS chip under the follower. After chasing it around a bit, I ended up with a 10K resistors instead. Couldn't detect any difference in sound.

Sheldon said:

You don't have to worry about a grid resistor there. That node is low impedance, since the FET is a source follower.

I'd say you don't even want a grid resistor here if you're planning A2 operation. I haven't seen a problem in my triode 4-65 A2 setup with similar Rp, mu, and gm to the 845. There is a 3" piece of wire from the MOSFET source terminal to the grid. I go over 30mA grid current in normal operation and any resistance here would probably increase third harmonic distortion.

Salas said:
This thing about no subjective difference between choosing a source resistor or a CCS its heartening towards simplicity by your finding but contrasts Ian's finding. :scratch:

That I didn't notice a difference, doesn't mean there isn't one. Since I didn't do side by side tests, I won't make much of it. Other's may experience it differently. I would guess that the operating conditions will affect performance too. I'm running about 9mA through the follower, at +/- 110 volts, and a separate supply.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.